MACV Airborne adviser 2 VN combat jumps - uniforms

Bob Hudson

dave peifer

the pocket hanger translates "if you want peace prepare for war"i can't nail down if it's french or something he had in venezuela

dave peifer

the french wings are probably numbered too him,maybe someone on the world forum has a list of numbers,if there is such a list

the french wings are probably numbered too him,maybe someone on the world forum has a list of numbers,if there is such a list

He was stationed in France from 1979-1982 with the Army's TRADOC LNO (liaison).

also in venezuela milgp 73-76,i think it's probably french

It's the uniform of someone who literally was on the frontlines of the hottest parts of the Cold War, jumping into Vietnam combat, mentoring allies in an era when the US and the Soviets were fiercely competing to win the hearts and minds of the small and/or poor nations. Spent half (or more) of his career overseas:

OVERSEAS SERVICE:

1958-59: 504TH Infantry, Germany

1959-61: Aide De Camp, Joint Brazil United States Military Commission (JBUSMC), Brazil

1963-64: Airborne advisor MACV, Vietnam

1966-67: S2 101st Abn, 1st Brigade, HqMAC, Vietnam

1967-68: Assigned to Catholic University, Brazil

1973-76: US Military Group, Venezuela

1979-82: TRADOC Liaison, France

1985-87: United States Military Training Mission, Saudi Arabia

dui2.jpg

dui3.jpg

dui4.jpg

His father was WEST POINT staff so he attended the Post School:

dui5.jpg

This MEYER gold bar set says "sterling" and "to Richard" I'm guessing his father passed them on to him. They appear to have the style of hallmark used by Meyer in the 20's when the father was commissioned a 2nd lieutenant.

dui6.jpg

Colonel Morton went Vietnam in 1963 when JFK was still Commander in Chief. He received a Bronze Star, and another Bronze Star with V, the Air Medal and the Combat Infantry Badge ( think that's what the CI stands for) -

macv.jpg

As noted above he did two combat jumps with the ARVN airborne and wore the stars for that: he had vertical and horizontal stars on jump wings:

combatwings1.jpg

compbatjumpwings3.jpg

manayunkman

Bob, you turn up the coolest stuff.

Congrats on this latest acquisition and enjoy it.

Just outstanding!!

Is there any more?

I called him tonight and he verified that the camo and other fatigues were gotten rid of long ago, including the ARVN airborne set he wore at MACV.

But I have to say these dress uniforms with their many - some unsual - awards and decorations on them (to say nothing of multiple jump wings) announce that this soldier had a helluva a career - again - in combat and with diplomats. He told me enjoyed it all and felt it was a priviledge to be able to do it for 30+ years.

When you look at the blues you have to wonder how impressive that must have looked at diplomatic affairs he'd attend as part of his foreign adviser duties. He met his wife he was an AdC in Rio.

I asked about the LURP/LRRP gold earring and he said the team started it and since he was their boss they gave him one, knowing I'm sure he'd never actually wear it (but maybe thanking him for his reluctant tolerance of their field jewelry :)

Bob,

Do the dress blues have one more ribbon than the greens?

The dress uniform has the Defense Meritorious Service Medal, awarded to him after a tour at REDCOM - Readiness Command. The blues ribbon rack also shows his second Legion of Merit rfrom his last post, Saudi Arabia:

ribs1.jpg

ribs2.jpg

He was an Eagle Scout, member of a Troop on the West Point grounds during high school:

s1.jpg

s2.jpg

s3.jpg

s4.jpg