MACV Airborne adviser 2 VN combat jumps - uniforms

Bob Hudson

Colonel Richard H Morton began his Army career in the early 50's as what he called "a buck private" who went to USMA prep school and then West Point, class of 57. He became an infantry officer and served with the 504th in the US and Germany, 1958-1959. In 59 he got the first of many assignments as a military adviser around the world as he became an Aide de Camp for the Brig. General heading the US component of JBUSMC, the Joint Brazil United States Militaria Commission in Brazil 59-62. From 61-62 Ninth Infantry.

From 63-64 at MACV where he advised the ARVN airborne, did two combat jumps with them and received a Bronze Star with V. From 66-67 he returned to Vietnam with the HQ MAC and 1st Brigade HQ for the 101st, serving as Brigade S-2 and receiving 5 Air Medals.

Besides Brazil, Germany and Vietnam he had overseas assignments in France, Venezuela and Saudi Arabia.

1.jpg

2.jpg

Here's a couple of his bio entries from the Register of USMC Graduates.

MIL-BIOS.jpg

westpoint-yearbook.jpg

101st.jpg

yes..I think these are as follows

101st,18th Abn Corps,MACV Airborne Advisor,504th

thanks!

Were gold earrings a LRRP thing? He received this when he was S-2 1st BDE 101st ABN in 66-67 (that's where he got his Air Medals.

lrrp1.jpg

dave peifer

Were gold earrings a LRRP thing? He received this when he was S-2 1st BDE 101st ABN in 66-67 (that's where he got his Air Medals.

attachicon.giflrrp1.jpg

it may have been,sure looks like it,i take it was in that envelope

Do you have his tropical clothes?

Outstanding!

No - he served so many years overseas in several countries so I think he traveled pretty light so he kept just the essentials - these dress uniforms (which must have gotten a workout in so many foreign advisor postings) and a trunk of his post Vietnam field gear and helmet which I bought from him a while back. At the time I had no idea of his most interesting career and knew only that he'd been an infantry officer. He did hold on to some nice patches and insignia - and things I don't know, including this pocket hanger bearing a very well-used latin phrase "Si vis pacem, para bellum"

drago0.jpg

drago1.jpg

emb.jpg

it may have been,sure looks like it,i take it was in that envelope

Yes - the black circle imprint left by the earring looks like it's been around a long time. I wonder what the symbolism was of that?

Knew a vet that said they wore a black onynx stud in their ear.He said they were known as the "Black Angels of Death".He told me this as a boy.Im never seen reference to the name.May have been a war story or something his group did.

I didn't notice that the ARMY COMMENDATION MEDAL was named to his father, Colonel William J Morton Jr. He marked all of his dad's things:

dad1.jpg

dad2.jpg

Screen Shot 2019-04-13 at 6.33.13 PM.png

dad3.jpg

i'm going to check,the round badge beside it w/no 8 is french also i believe

It is made of very thin metal.