Camillus WW2 USN Mk2 KaBar

MDaniel1964

MDaniel1964

First ever post, so apologies straight up if this has been covered many times before.

Recently purchased my first Ka-Bar and love it for both character and awesome design. I would like to clean up the surface rust on the pommel and blade, but do not wish to commit the cardinal sin of originality. Im sure the forum clan can help me out with suggestions as to:

1) Should I just protect the knife from getting in a worse condition?, or;

2) Can I clean up the rust with a method that can be suggested from the forum?

Thank you in advance for any help, suggestions or comments.

Cheers.

MD

post-226903-0-37589300-1555138929.jpg

post-226903-0-75085700-1555138944.jpg

post-226903-0-01489600-1555138960.jpg

post-226903-0-81491100-1555138981.jpg

post-226903-0-48498400-1555138998.jpg

post-226903-0-12236300-1555139047_thumb.jpg

post-226903-0-95598900-1555139210.jpg

I clean rust on Mark 2 pommels with a small phosphor bronze gun brush. I lightly brush the pommel without brushing the leather handle. Then I apply a little gun oil and wipe it off with a dry cloth. I would not do anything to that handle, maybe wipe the blade with wet cloth. I would not oil the blade as it will darken the Parkerized finish.

I store my knives out of the sheath with the blade in a paper sleeve.

post-165606-0-07497200-1555146023_thumb.jpg

MD- Congrats on a nice Camillus. MK2. Depends on where you live as to how you treat the metal. I live a very humid area of NC, so I oil my blades, guards, pommels, and metal throats of the scabbards. Have had them rust before. Mint Camillus MK2, M3s, and M4 bayonets have a blue/black finish that looks totally black when oiled. I personally love the finish. But, it's your knife, your decision on how to preserve. SKIP

MDaniel1964

I clean rust on Mark 2 pommels with a small phosphor bronze gun brush. I lightly brush the pommel without brushing the leather handle. Then I apply a little gun oil and wipe it off with a dry cloth. I would not do anything to that handle, maybe wipe the blade with wet cloth. I would not oil the blade as it will darken the Parkerized finish.

I store my knives out of the sheath with the blade in a paper sleeve.

Thank you Mike for the tips! I like how you store all your fantastic looking collection, I will definitely be following your lead on that. You have me convinced also to leave the blade and handle as is. And I will have a crack at lightly cleaning up the pommel as you suggest. Once again, thankyou for your time and insight.

MDaniel1964

MD- Congrats on a nice Camillus. MK2. Depends on where you live as to how you treat the metal. I live a very humid area of NC, so I oil my blades, guards, pommels, and metal throats of the scabbards. Have had them rust before. Mint Camillus MK2, M3s, and M4 bayonets have a blue/black finish that looks totally black when oiled. I personally love the finish. But, it's your knife, your decision on how to preserve. SKIP

Cheers Skip! :) I am concerned about rust, as like yourself, I do live on the coast by the ocean, so I will oil my blades and house it out of the sheath in cardboard sleeve. I agree also, the blades look special as! with that blue/black finish, I do not wish to lose that look. I will clean up the pommel though and preserve with gun oil and see how that goes. My collecting begins!!!!