Civilian Conservation Corps Uniforms Handbook

cccranger

I am pleased to announce the website Civilian Conservation Corps Uniforms Handbook, a visual guide to the clothing and accessories issued to enrollees in the Civilian Conservation Corps, 1933-1942.

Link: www.cccuniforms.org

I wrote this guide to provide a single starting point for living history interpreters and collectors interested in the uniforms and insignia of the CCC. I'd like to thank this forum, its moderators and members for posting so many helpful threads and items from their collections over the years. And I would specially like to thank World War 1 Nerd for his amazing primers on Great War uniforms and footwear, much of which was also issued to the CCC.

I hoe you find it helpful and I welcome comments, suggestions, and corrections.

Outstanding site! Thank your for you efforts in putting this resource together.

The section on footwear is particularly illuminating.

Thanks, Franklin. I will be revising the footwear section soon, I have learned a lot more about what exact trench boots were in the Georgia Wholesale lots issued to the CCC. Short answer, Pershings and Victories, the latter both roughout and smooth and with and without hibnails.

The Meatcan

cccranger, fantastic work! Thanks so much for putting this together and sharing it with The Forum. I’ll definitely be spending some hours perusing your site.

​Terry

cccranger, really great info in the book! I have ccc items brought in to my museum from time to time and actually have some different collar insignia that you may like to see? I also provided a nice photo album to this group here in Michigan-https://chandlertownshipmichiganmemories.weebly.com/camp-wolverine-ccc.html I still have the original album as well as many new identified pics from another donor. Feel free to contact me if you have any interest in seeing them. Scott

Scott, I'd love to see your insignia at your convenience. I'll check out the link later today. --Erik

• 3 weeks later...
General Apathy

I am pleased to announce the website Civilian Conservation Corps Uniforms Handbook, a visual guide to the clothing and accessories issued to enrollees in the Civilian Conservation Corps, 1933-1942.

Link: www.cccuniforms.org

I wrote this guide to provide a single starting point for living history interpreters and collectors interested in the uniforms and insignia of the CCC. I'd like to thank this forum, its moderators and members for posting so many helpful threads and items from their collections over the years. And I would specially like to thank World War 1 Nerd for his amazing primers on Great War uniforms and footwear, much of which was also issued to the CCC.

I hope you find it helpful and I welcome comments, suggestions, and corrections.

Hi cccranger, interesting site and thanks for adding it here for us all to see, ECW / CCC uniform and equipment have always interested me and I collected many pieces alongside my US WWII uniform collection.

Just looking through your site I spotted the link you added to a company making uniforms for ECW / CCC workers, I have a virtually unissued version of the jacket seen on the right-hand side of this catalog, I don't have a photograph to add presently but I will take one and add it later.

regards, lewis.

.post-344-0-62520600-1556922495_thumb.jpeg

General Apathy

Hi cccranger, interesting site and thanks for adding it here for us all to see, ECW / CCC uniform and equipment have always interested me and I collected many pieces alongside my US WWII uniform collection.

My ECW wool jacket dated 1935.

regards, lewis

.post-344-0-85109500-1556922772.jpeg

General Apathy

My ECW wool jacket dated 1935.

regards, lewis

.attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2019-05-03 at 23.55.00.jpeg

The label inside my ECW wool jacket dated 1935, it has been over-stamped ' XL ' for the size. This jacket will be part of an auction of items from my collection 18 /19 May in Caen, France.

http://www.aiolfi.com/vente/1279-session-de-printemps-2019/1368-collection-kenneth-lewis-doughboy-to-gi-1ere-partie/1385-les-services-civils/tres-rare-veste-du-civilian-conservation-corps-very-rare-civilian-conservation-corps-workers-wool-jacket/

regards lewis.

.post-344-0-59307100-1556958159.jpeg

General Apathy

The rear of my ECW wool jacket dated 1935. This jacket will be part of an auction of items from my collection 18 /19 May in Caen, France.

http://www.aiolfi.co...rs-wool-jacket/

regards lewis.

.post-344-0-32646600-1556958355.jpeg

General Apathy

Hi cccranger,

Just looking through your site I spotted the link you added to a company making uniforms for ECW / CCC workers, I have a virtually unissued version of the jacket seen on the right-hand side of this catalog, I don't have a photograph to add presently but I will take one and add it later.

regards, lewis.

.attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2019-05-04 at 00.06.51.jpeg

Here's my version of the jacket seen on the right-hand side of the clothing catalog. Not certain if mine is an earlier version or a different manufacturer ??, mine does not have the front yoke pieces that cover the opening of the top pockets, neither does it have leather buttons or zipped side pockets for the rear compartment across the rear of the coat.

for some reason the attached photograph makes the jacket look faded or patchy, it is intact in perfect one shade of color all over without signs of wear or use, sadly the manufacturer / date label is missing.

regards lewis

.post-344-0-18115600-1556974648.jpeg

General Apathy

Here's my version of the jacket seen on the right-hand side of the clothing catalog. Not certain if mine is an earlier version or a different manufacturer ??, mine does not have the front yoke pieces that cover the opening of the top pockets, neither does it have leather buttons or zipped side pockets for the rear compartment across the rear of the coat.

for some reason the attached photograph makes the jacket look faded or patchy, it is infact in perfect one shade of color all over without signs of wear or use, sadly the manufacturer / date label is missing.

regards lewis

.post-344-0-16074000-1556974770.jpeg

Mr. Lewis, those are amazing pieces.

I had come to doubt that the plaid A-1 style wool work jacket actually existed outside of Buzz Rickson's imagination. I am thrilled to be proven wrong. Now I need to mate some quick edits to the entry for that garment in the handbook.

Could I have your permission to add your plaid work jacket images to the handbook with credit to your collection?

Also, can you read the entire date of the tentative spec on the plaid jacket QMC tag. I can't read the month numeral in your image. This is the first intact tag for a wool A1 I have ever seen.

Thanks again!

General Apathy

I had come to doubt that the plaid A-1 style wool work jacket actually existed outside of Buzz Rickson's imagination. I am thrilled to be proven wrong. Now I need to mate some quick edits to the entry for that garment in the handbook.

Could I have your permission to add your plaid work jacket images to the handbook with credit to your collection?

Also, can you read the entire date of the tentative spec on the plaid jacket QMC tag. I can't read the month numeral in your image. This is the first intact tag for a wool A1 I have ever seen.

Thanks again!

Hi cccranger, I would be quite happy for you to use my images, if you send me your email address through the forum private message system I will email you back better scale images. The missing detail is ' Contract W-669 QM ECW July 18 1935 '

regards Kenneth Lewis.

Mr. Lewis, I would surmise that these are simply normal variations on the same basic "Cruiser Jacket" plan offered by multiple manufacturers. Just as officers in the US Army had considerable latitude to work with the uniform vendor of their choice and even with a tailor to customize garments within a general specification, so too did US Forest Service personnel, except perhaps even more so -- different interpretations of the basic design by different vendors is to be expected. That is an outstanding Cruiser-style jacket, complete with the fascinating detail of the back pocket flaps allowing use of the double back as an ersatz pack. Definitely an officer's grade garment rather than QMC procurement.

General Apathy

Thanks again!

Hello Erik, thank you for the email address I will mail the images to you on Monday.

My friends call me lewis and I would be happy for you to do likewise, I always think of my father as Mr. Lewis and that would be affectionately not that he commanded it.

regards lewis.

General Apathy

Hi Erik, did you receive the larger images I sent you a couple of days ago. ????

regards lewis.

Found this with a WW1 uniform group.

No tags or markings.

Havent determined if its Civilian Hunting jacket or a item for the CCC or other organization.

Jacket is a cotton type twill but not as thick as the WW1 summer twill tunics.It is belted and lined with a thin olive drab wool.A pair of trousers were included.

post-342-0-42415900-1558032501.jpg

post-342-0-39796200-1558032539.jpg

post-342-0-19467700-1558032577.jpg

Hi Erik, did you receive the larger images I sent you a couple of days ago. ????

regards lewis.

Yes indeed, Lewis, my thanks and my apologies for not replying. I've been on a long duty stretch this week on the night shift. I will follow up via email.

Found this with a WW1 uniform group.

No tags or markings.

Havent determined if its Civilian Hunting jacket or a item for the CCC or other organization.

Jacket is a cotton type twill but not as thick as the WW1 summer twill tunics.It is belted and lined with a thin olive drab wool.A pair of trousers were included.

attachicon.gif2019_0511RAIDERUSMC0008.JPG

attachicon.gif2019_0511RAIDERUSMC0010.JPG

attachicon.gif2019_0511RAIDERUSMC0012.JPG

Doyler, that's a beutiful garment. But, just from "gut feel" I suspect it is not CCC. To my knowledge to date, the only non-demin cotton garments issued to the 3Cs are the M1937 "suntan" shirt and trousers in the 1938-1942 era. The QMC had a notable bias toward wool for CCC jackets and outerwear. Also, the twin stripes of fabric down the back with the unusual gap in the stitching that lets them serve as belt loops are a nifty and distinctive feature of this coat, but one that seems a little "fussy" compared to the known QMC designs issued to the CCC.

That said, I have become VERY reluctant to ever say anything categorical about CCC issue clothing. It is straightforward to identify the garments which were common and typical, but exceptions abound. No sooner do you say categorically something is NOT CCC than an image or original garment pops up proving you wrong.

So I'd evaluate it as a gorgeous period garment but presently "doubtful" for CCC attribution.

General Apathy

Hi cccranger, This jacket will be part of an auction of items from my collection 18 /19 May in Caen, France.

http://www.aiolfi.co...rs-wool-jacket/

regards lewis.

.attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2019-05-03 at 23.54.37.jpeg

Auction report, This red check woollen jacket was part of todays auction in Caen and realised 800 euros, approximately 894 dollars and it was apparently sold to an American bidder., if the winning bidder reads this page, Thank you very much and I hope that you enjoy owning the jacket.

sadly this evening several people contacted me to say that they struggled to register to bid, I was informed it's almost impossible to register once the auction has actually started,

lewis

.post-344-0-46922600-1558211745.jpeg