USMMA Cadet Corps Cadet Stars for Survival of Enemy Torpedoing

senhoragua

IMG_1616.jpg?resize=250%2C250

Corps of Cadets "Enemy Action - wounded" ribbon

Recently I came across an early issue of the United States Merchant Marine Academy Cadet Corps publication Polaris from January 1943. In it I read about the creation of the Cadet Corps’ combat award "Cadet Corps Cadet Stars for Survival of Enemy Torpedoing" or "Enemy Action ribbon"; prior the only reference I was able to uncover was in Bunkley's insignia book from 1943. This ribbon is significant since at the time Congress was embroiled in a debate whether or not merchant seamen deserve recognition for their braving wartime seas and surviving torpedoings. I did a summary of the ribbon criteria and and the particulars of the ribbon itself here (botton half of the page):

http://ianewatts.org/usmccc-awards/

MMcollector

Thanks for posting this reference Ian. I was not aware of this award, and I wonder how many times collectors were scratching their heads trying to figure out what it was. Your site has great information and I think everyone would benefit by saving/favoriting it.

Is the colour of the ribbon dark green?

Regards

Herman

Indeed, it is dark green and that's an oxidized aluminum star.

Thanks for posting this reference Ian. I was not aware of this award, and I wonder how many times collectors were scratching their heads trying to figure out what it was. Your site has great information and I think everyone would benefit by saving/favoriting it.

No problem - this the fun part of collecting and researching, you sometimes have these odd items around and then all of sudden by chance you have an "ah ha!" moment. I'm glad to share.

• 2 weeks later...

IMG_1616.jpg?resize=250%2C250

Corps of Cadets "Enemy Action - wounded" ribbon

Recently I came across an early issue of the United States Merchant Marine Academy Cadet Corps publication Polaris from January 1943. In it I read about the creation of the Cadet Corps’ combat award "Cadet Corps Cadet Stars for Survival of Enemy Torpedoing" or "Enemy Action ribbon"; prior the only reference I was able to uncover was in Bunkley's insignia book from 1943. This ribbon is significant since at the time Congress was embroiled in a debate whether or not merchant seamen deserve recognition for their braving wartime seas and surviving torpedoings. I did a summary of the ribbon criteria and and the particulars of the ribbon itself here (botton half of the page):

http://ianewatts.org/usmccc-awards/

I decided to go the extra mile and post all Enemy Action Reports on my site. For those of you researching a ship or cadet-midshipman who was awarded the ribbon, the volumes are indispensable primary resources. The volumes are incomplete, as stated in the "Preliminary Note." Keeping that in mind, here you go:

http://ianewatts.org/kings-point-enemy-action-reports/

Incidentally, I wrote about the experiences of Raymond Holubowicz (on your website) in my book, Blue Seas, Red Stars. Unfortunately, he didn't have that ribbon in his possession, as I photographed what he did have and included in the book. Pretty remarkable journey for all of these guys...I had no clue there were that many cadets who were in combat during the war...impressive!!!

I actually own your book and it is pretty awesome. I enjoyed your work for two reasons: first, it goes beyond just listing names - it shows a medal (or a group) and makes it personal through context and personal or family recollection; and second, the photographs are stunning - and not just of the medals, but also the period photographs,
I'd bought it last year and I was surprised to see R. Holubowicz in it since I recalled his name being mentioned in a speech at the 2014 USMMA Battle Standard Dinner. In the speech, the speaker said:
"[R]omauld Holubowicz ... survived three sinkings, including one in which his classmate and best friend died in his arms just before they were rescued."
Being sunk twice in the same convoy (as mentioned in your work), and then in another...

Incidentally, I wrote about the experiences of Raymond Holubowicz (on your website) in my book, Blue Seas, Red Stars. Unfortunately, he didn't have that ribbon in his possession, as I photographed what he did have and included in the book. Pretty remarkable journey for all of these guys...I had no clue there were that many cadets who were in combat during the war...impressive!!!