M1 carbine sight/receiver question

thecandyman0838

thecandyman0838

Hello, I bought this m1 carbine a couple weeks back made by saginaw and just noticed that there is some type of damage/pitting that was underneath what almost looked like jb weld(came off with a toothpick) were the sight is dovetailed into the receiver. Is this something that happened when the later style sights were installed or is this something major to worry about? Is this damage only cosmetic?

Thanks post-146822-15548465236004.jpg

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

thecandyman0838

Here receivers with similar marks found on google.post-146822-15548468041693.jpg

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

The mark on the receiver is staking from when the 2nd and 3rd type rear sights were installed and staked in place. But nothing should be wiping off on a toothpick. It's possible that someone (recently) used JB Weld rather than restaking the sight in place.

thecandyman0838

The mark on the receiver is staking from when the 2nd and 3rd type rear sights were installed and staked in place. But nothing should be wiping off on a toothpick. It's possible that someone (recently) used JB Weld rather than restaking the sight in place.

Thank you for the reply. The sight feels sturdy but I guess time will tell as to whether or not it is properly installed. I can't tell exactly what came off on the toothpick but it wasn't dirt.

Maybe whatever came off on the toothpick was just old grease and dirt. Give it a good cleaning, shoot it, then assess the sight situation before changing anything. If need be buy a staking tool and re-stake it.