Springfield Rifle M1903A3

Tony641

I have been looking and can't find a ton of information on a Springfield 1903a3 rifle. I see Remington and Smith Corona but not a lot on Springfield. I currently have the opertunity to purchase a Springfield 1903a3 rifle with a barrel date of 12-43. I believe the serial number on the rifle was in the 1.4 million range (but not positive). There was the P proof matk near the grip and 3 other marks on the stock. One was SA, one was like AAL and I dont remember the last. The rifle was about it the nicest shape I have seen a rifle like this. I did not get any photos as my phone died before I got the the house to see it (I know great planning on my part). I also know that it will be hard to determine a good value without the actual serial number and photos. I would love to get a rough idea though, he is asking $1,000. Let me know what you think. I hope to get back tomorrow or the following day to get photos. Thanks in advance for any help.

Sounds like you have a Sprinfield that was rebarreledAny other marks other than the date on the barrel?.As I recall Remington took over the production from Springfield and got the equipment from them.Got off to a slow start as the equipment was in need of repair or updating.I dont recall if it was 1941 or before?I dont have my copy of Brophs book in hand.Maybe someone can add to this or confirm.

As best I know, there is no such thing as a Springfield M1903a3. Not withstanding the barrel date, the Springfield M1903 does not have the receiver dovetail (behind the bolt) to accept the M1903a3 rear sight. Also, Remington acquired the Rock Island Arsenal M1903 equipment to build their M1903. After producing a bunch (I'm not near my books at the moment), Remington came up with multiple changes to reduce effort and shorten the time to make the rifle. Adopting the changes the military called the new rifle the M1903a3. Smith Corona came along after the changes. Really need to see good pictures on this one to evaluate.

Ok, that's why I could not find anything. When I asked about it I was told it was a Springfield 1903 however when I looked I just saw that it said 1903a3 and just assumed it was a Springfield. It also had the SA o the stock furthering by belief that it was a Springfield. It is a Remington 1903a3 with barrel date of 12-43 and the serial number date a couple months short of that. Now I am able to find information on the Remington. Thank you both for your time.

• 2 weeks later...
SGT CHIP SAUNDERS

NO . EXPERT . Best books on the 03 and it's variants are Col. Brophy's . and Bruce Canfield . They might save you money