Tarawa Marine Returns Home

TLeo

How nice of them to sum up his service, sacrifice, and journey home in 5 short sentences. Bet they mustered more ink for the latest celebrity gossip.

That said, I always love seeing these guys identified and returned home. The people who have the absolute privilege of finding and IDing these remains must have the great fortune of finding great satisfaction in their work.

We moved his remains through Atlanta this morning, the full 7 flag ceremony with full film coverage,and a few hours after that we moved another USS Oklahoma crewman back home. We have already done two Tarawa human remains this year, three USS Oklahoma remains and about 40 more are scheduled through the summer. The Tarawa Marines ( about 40) were uncovered in a mass grave when a parking lot was being constructed last year ( there were signs of torture), the USS Oklahoma remains are exhumed out of the Punch Bowl cemetery. Two weeks ago we sent home from Belgium a 325th FA 82nd Airborne Operation Market Garden soldier. A full 82nd Airborne burial team was present at his final burial in Indiana (I believe- we are doing so many recently). My understanding is President Trump has made a priority in identifying all remains. Korean War remains are also coming through at a three to 1 ratio.

Could not agree more.

A bit more information on this brave Marine:

Claire Eulin Goldtrap, MCSN: 298789. Listed as KIA on 11/20/43, while serving as part of Co. A, 2nd Amtrac BN, 2nd MARDIV.

RIP Corporal, you are home now.

How nice of them to sum up his service, sacrifice, and journey home in 5 short sentences. Bet they mustered more ink for the latest celebrity gossip.

That said, I always love seeing these guys identified and returned home. The people who have the absolute privilege of finding and IDing these remains must have the great fortune of finding great satisfaction in their work.

My Father In Law worked with DPAA on the case of the Tarawa Marines. The Marines were interred in a temporary cemetery right after the battle, and with all the construction on the island later on, the grave sites basically got lost during the war. When they went to find them after the war, no one knew where they were and the remains were left on the island. It took research years later to bring these men home.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/31321-marinemavy-kias-located/

Kurt