Dunham WW1 Junior Aviator/Observer

bschwartz

Well I haven't bought a wing in several years but sometimes a wing falls into your lap that you just can't pass up. This is one of those cases. A WW1 Dan Dunham manufactured half wing. This wing was used as a Junior/Reserve Aviator badge from 8/1917-10/1917 and a First Patter Observer badge from 10/1917-12/1917. I've always been a fan of these rare badges just due to the short period that they were authorized for use. I've never seen a Dunham made half wing in this pattern before. The US is gold but dirty. You can see the gold in the recesses and on the edges of the US. The pin, catch and hinge are intact but at some point in its life the rivet that held the pin in place was lost and they replaced it with a bent pin. Hope you enjoy it. Note that the camera is playing a bit of a trick with the lighting on the shield. In the photo it looks like it's a different color than the wing but in hand they are the same color.

post-5185-0-24704800-1554758832_thumb.jpg

Bob,

Classic Dunham in an extremely rare configuration. Nothing more can be said except; "Congratulations!"

Very nice!

Chris

Very nice wing. But let me give you some advice... you know, 'cause I'm a nice guy and I feel bad for you. The pin is broken, and I don't think you are the type of collector who wants to besmirch his collection with a REPAIRED wing. I mean, how rare can it be if it was repaired. LOTS of wings are repaired, so you would probably be better off, just gittin rid of it, is all I'm saying.

That is where I come in... Honest Dr. Frost. I feel bad that you have been bamboozled into such a dog of a wing. So, I'll be willing to take it off of your hands, you know, as a favor. I rarely make these types of offers, "but I've sentenced boys younger than you to the gas ... I felt I owed it to them." And I feel like I owe you the chance to make things right for your collection and take that broken old dirty wing off of your hands. Normally, I would ask you to pay for shipping, but as a favor to you, I'll pay for shipping this one time. Its because I like you, even though I can't say much about your choice in wings. Its a crying shame....

rathbonemuseum.com

That is a nice wing, Bob. How does one just fall into a beauty like that?! The little antique store in town? The neighbor who asks, "you probably wouldn't be interested cause it's a bit dirty..." I mean, c'mon!

You see there's this Dan Dunham surplus store in town that has a pile of new old stock that's been around since the early 1900s and they're selling these for $5 a pop to clean out old inventory, ha. I wish. Actually this is a story that we've all heard before and it scares the hell out of us. Someone was cleaning out an older relatives house and nearly threw it out but decided to hang on to it because it was attractive. I just happened to be in the right place at the right time to get a hold of it. Whenever I hear those stories, which I've definitely heard before, it always makes me wonder how much militaria ends up in the garbage. I don't think I want to know the answer to that.

Wow Bob! What a terrific addition to your collection! I'm going to have to start seeding the clouds as they pass overhead, with the outside chance something might fall into my lap other than rain! Congratulations on picking up this very rare badge...