mdk0911
  • Members
    • Member ID: 80,886
  • 1,386 posts

Posted 07 April 2019 - 03:18 PM

not sure to post it here but big auction coming up on 4-28-19

here's the link 

https://centurionauc...--wwii/?ipp=100

has some named uniforms from WWII  82nd and 101st - has civil war, indian war, spanish war, WWI and WW2

has total of 697 items!

#2 Blacksmith

Blacksmith
  • Members
    • Member ID: 94,991
  • 1,746 posts

Posted 07 April 2019 - 04:42 PM

Wow, that 1918 trench knife is smokin.

Reasonable auction estimates too.

#3 MT247

MT247
  • Members
    • Member ID: 157,549
  • 658 posts

Posted 07 April 2019 - 05:55 PM

Wow there are a lot of great pieces in there, always hard with an auction to figure out what stuff will go for. Also seems like whatever you want, 100 other people want also...I guess just pay more then them!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#4 flytiger

flytiger
  • Members
    • Member ID: 126,385
  • 281 posts

Posted 08 April 2019 - 07:15 AM

Uniform collectors Gen. Officers and others need to look at this. There are a large number of nice items. There are a large number of bids already on most of the good stuff so you can get an idea where the prices are going. I did not look at auction fee but suppose 15-25% add on tho bid so know what you are doing plus shipping etc

#5 z19

z19
  • Members
    • Member ID: 10,896
  • 366 posts

Posted 08 April 2019 - 12:21 PM

Hate to be a downer, but I sat in on the last one of these militaria auctions they had and if is anything like last time airborne stuff will be untouchable bringing 150% or more of what it is really worth. The bidding mania is unreal and even comical sometimes!! Good luck

#6 doyler

doyler
  • Members
    • Member ID: 342
  • 33,464 posts

Posted 08 April 2019 - 02:20 PM

Hate to be a downer, but I sat in on the last one of these militaria auctions they had and if is anything like last time airborne stuff will be untouchable bringing 150% or more of what it is really worth. The bidding mania is unreal and even comical sometimes!! Good luck

And some questionable items...these auctions are getting to be dumping grounds for rather sketchy items.But this said people are paying over market prices for items they cant see or handle for the most part.

#7 USARV72

USARV72
  • Members
    • Member ID: 6,975
  • 1,657 posts

Posted 08 April 2019 - 03:48 PM

They have big auctions every once in a while. About 4 hours West of here, been tempted to get a few guys and road trip one. As others posted, about holding items in your hands is hard to beat, doubt I’d consider any high priced uniform.

#8 rosieres64

rosieres64
  • Members
    • Member ID: 13,330
  • 498 posts

Posted 09 April 2019 - 10:38 AM

How do the helmets look?

#9 jpipes

jpipes
  • Members
    • Member ID: 181,923
  • 57 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 03:23 PM

My understanding is that Centurion is one of the better online auction houses. As with anything it is always buyer-beware but there are bargains to be had and deals to be found if you look. 

As for the comment about stuff selling for "150% of its value" I understand what is being said, but bottomline, when something sells for X price, that implies two people were willing to pay that amount. This isn't stamp collecting, there is no catalog that gives us X price for X item in X condition. Prices can and do vary. If people are paying X price at auction, that is because they were willing to pay X price. Sure auctions can be wonky, but you also can't discount those values by handwaving them entirely. What it means is that in some venues some of what we sell has better value than other places. I have tried selling good quality items at shows and gotten nothing more than tire kickers, then increased the price and sold the same item online minutes after listing it. It all depends on the audience. 

Edited by jpipes, 14 April 2019 - 03:25 PM.

#10 doyler

doyler
  • Members
    • Member ID: 342
  • 33,464 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 05:28 PM

My understanding is that Centurion is one of the better online auction houses. As with anything it is always buyer-beware but there are bargains to be had and deals to be found if you look. 

As for the comment about stuff selling for "150% of its value" I understand what is being said, but bottomline, when something sells for X price, that implies two people were willing to pay that amount. This isn't stamp collecting, there is no catalog that gives us X price for X item in X condition. Prices can and do vary. If people are paying X price at auction, that is because they were willing to pay X price. Sure auctions can be wonky, but you also can't discount those values by handwaving them entirely. What it means is that in some venues some of what we sell has better value than other places. I have tried selling good quality items at shows and gotten nothing more than tire kickers, then increased the price and sold the same item online minutes after listing it. It all depends on the audience. 

I think one major factor why some items sit at shows or don't get sold is the issue many use a credit card on line for auctions or paypal and have it linked to a card.At shows its a cash business mostly.Many sellers or people who collect and sell don't have or offer the electronic payment platform at shows.Cash is King and some don't caryy any cash or very little.With on line they can charge it.Pay it off or make payments( or try to sell it before the bill comes due).

I understand the convenience of electronic payment etc and also buyers who may not have the time to go to shows or make the effort so they are willing to pay more on line but the other little voice in my head says not all of these on line buyers don't attend shows where the items can be had for less as there is no buyers premium,card fee,shipping fee or fee from a secondary pack and ship place.A recent auction here had a 25 percent buyers fee,7 percent sales tax,then card fee,another fee if you were an absentee bidder(5%).Even the fake german stuff that was listed as such brought silly money.Lots of fees just for the privilege to buy something. 

#11 jpipes

jpipes
  • Members
  • 57 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 06:32 PM

If that is so, it would be odd since anyone with a phone can now run a credit card, same with anyone that has a PayPal account. But yes cash is always king. I often think another reason things don't always sell at shows is there is just SO MUCH to see and consider that what would fly off the shelf in another scenario might not even get noticed at all. Think of how many times you are at an antique mall and find a ho-hum piece priced middle of the road but you buy it because there is nothing else to take interest in. Yet at a show, it would never in a million years get purchased by you or anyone else. You get my point. I think it is fair to say at shows there is so much to see and to buy that unless you are literally looking for an exact specific thing, stuff that would normally go quick or be considered strongly doesn't get noticed. It gets lost in the noise. An example of this can be found at the Show of Shows where it's routine to find astounding stuff still for sale on the 2nd and 3rd days because there is simply too much stuff to see. One simply can't take it all in. 

#12 4th Miss Cav

4th Miss Cav
  • Members
    • Member ID: 8,007
  • 123 posts

Posted 21 April 2019 - 10:33 AM

20% buyers premium plus Florida sales tax so your looking at an extra 27% or so.  Then to ship. Could be some serious extra money.

#13 jpipes

jpipes
  • Members
  • 57 posts

Posted 24 April 2019 - 07:03 AM

You don't pay sales tax if you are shipping out of state. If you pick up in person and have a resellers ID you also don't pay sales tax. The buyers premium is definitely a PITA though sometimes if you check the various avenues you can find a way to pay less. I've seen them as low as 15%, and sometimes paying with cash or check also lowers the fee. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users