Inert HESH round

P-59A

In side projectile The head stamp reads 105MM M14, LOT IVI-2-14. On the other side of the primer are the numbers 1969. The primer reads 4-69-S17 201M28B2

post-169522-0-80873200-1554675705_thumb.jpg

220px-Damage_caused_by_HESH_fort_nelson.

Example of the spalling damage caused by HESH.

High-explosive squash head (HESH) is a type of explosive ammunition that is effective against tank armour and is also useful against buildings. It was fielded chiefly by the British Army as the main explosive round of its main battle tanks during the Cold War. It was also used by other military forces, particularly those that acquired the early post-World War 2 British 105 mm Royal Ordnance L7A1, including Germany, India, Israel and Sweden. In the United States, it is known as HEP, for "high explosive, plastic".

The US does not use HESH, they use HEP and they are tank gun rounds. Yours appears to be stuck in a 105mm howitzer case, it needs to go in a full length tank gun case. Very careful examination of the area just above the projectile forward driving band you should find an M393 marking, it will be faint. Also, the projectile will be seated in depth to the middle of the driving band ( in other words- when sitting in the proper case, the upper most driving band only will be visible). The correct cases are harder to find, they come in steel and brass...I have a few sitting around somewhere and they are correctly ink marked M393....

The correct brass casing is an " M150", very different from the other 105mm tank cases due to the way it is crimped. The one I have m393A1 marking was very hard to find, I found it only when I stripped all the paint off for a repaint/stencil job, barely visible about an inch above the most forward driving band. They are a very impressive round when sitting in the correct case.

• 3 weeks later...

Here is what your HEP-T M393 round takes for a case, an M150 model. Notice the size compared to your howitzer case. A very heavy piece of brass. I pulled a few cases out to inventory them.post-180924-0-58197900-1556055065_thumb.jpeg

Just for comparison, notice the M103 Heavy tank casing used mostly by the Marines ( thru the 70's). It is 120mm ( the black cone shaped object is the AP projectile), the case is a massive 33 in tall. Notice the painted 105mm HEP in the background, OD with black stripe. ( a refinished M393 like yours could be) the M103 case is almost as tall as the 105mm HEP round. 120mm casings are sought after in the collector world. The blue 120mm on the left is an Abrahms 120mm target practice HEAT round.

post-180924-0-02544900-1556062525_thumb.jpeg