• Please log in to reply
76 replies to this topic

#76 WWIIBuff1945

WWIIBuff1945
  • Members
    • Member ID: 158,759
  • 519 posts

Posted 15 May 2019 - 01:19 PM

Thanks Keith! I am actually just finishing reading the 'Soldier's Sketchbook' this week. It's a quick read but well put together with lots of photos and drawings. Most of the book is his letters home (like the book 'V-Mail') but he also adds some modern commentary to it. 'V-Mail' was okay but you get a lot of the typical "all is swell, don't worry" censored letters that don't really reflect the soldier's true feelings or what is actually going on. 'A 4F Goes to War' was my least favorite of the group. It's a very short book, but the author appeared to me to think a little too highly of himself - has a few stories of him talking back to officers and making a disparaging comment or two about guys that got trench foot or frostbite (as if they all did it on purpose...).

That is a nice grouping you have with the pistol. Did you ever decide to make contact with the family or not to get some more information?

Jason,

Thanks for the info on the books. The phone numbers were bad so I wasn't able to get a hold of the family. Its always a risk when you contact them that they would like the items back. It would be hard me me to say no to the family and its a really cool grouping!

#77 norwegian blue

norwegian blue
  • Members
    • Member ID: 1,981
  • 294 posts

Posted 16 May 2019 - 07:18 AM

Thank You very much Jason, I appreciate the comment

I have a little more Century division stuff that i'll post soon

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users