Damaged M1 elevation pinion

PaulS

T105 pinion. Cheaper to just buy a new one.

Thank you for your reply. I know the M14 elevation pinion is marked with a "M" and graduated in meters.Is there a difference between the shafts of a M1 and M14 pinions?

Repairable, yes. Possible, unlikely as there are basically no spare parts out there for them that are not from other broken or worn pinions. I rebuilt 50-60 elevation pinions with used parts but it took forever to find the parts. Most broken pinions have bad elevation drums which is the hardest part to find. They either crack, or the tooth wears down and they don't hold adjustment. The pinion you have is the later type as the gear is solid all the way across. The earlier style had a groove in the gear around the diameter on the drum side.

Repairable, yes. Possible, unlikely as there are basically no spare parts out there for them that are not from other broken or worn pinions. I rebuilt 50-60 elevation pinions with used parts but it took forever to find the parts. Most broken pinions have bad elevation drums which is the hardest part to find. They either crack, or the tooth wears down and they don't hold adjustment. The pinion you have is the later type as the gear is solid all the way across. The earlier style had a groove in the gear around the diameter on the drum side.

Thank you for the information on the repair and gear information! Could this type of pinion been used on a M14?

Thank you for the information on the repair and gear information! Could this type of pinion been used on a M14?

Yes but I have seen plenty of Garand pinions of this type as well.