8th Tactical Fighter Wing

Delta Dagger

There is a photo of Robin Olds wearing one of these during the Vietnam War.

Surprisingly, these sometimes show up on eBay with very low closing bids. I don't think people know what they are are when they are from.

Robin Olds patches of the 8th TFW were the normal Thai weaved. Had one of the two that came out of his estate. I don't recall seeing this type of patch from Thailand during the 66-71 time frame which means I haven't seen one. It is a very well done patch. There are tons of 8th TFW that show up on easybay that are just repo/fake and not Thai made. Use caution if looking for the real thing.

vintageproductions

Robin Olds had a bag of these in his estate. John Conway and I were the ones who sorted them for his daughter.

Caution in buying Vietnam era patches on eBay is always advised. But these are good for the time period.

Well geez I have that photo somewhere and should have looked for it? LOL! I don't know how many of these came out of the Olds auction not more then two as I recall of which I got one and know where one other non auction is so if there were a bunch where did they go? Anyhow 50/50 on my statement ref the Thai mfr so better then my Vegas bets!

As Bob stated, Japan made like many of the Japanese Army patches of the period. In his book, Old stated in his book he wanted to start a welcoming program for every airman assigned to the 8th TFW. Part of that was to give each newcomer an 8th TFW patch. This was the one handed out, thus why you see so many.

Randy

• 9 months later...

There is a photo of Robin Olds wearing one of these during the Vietnam War.

Surprisingly, these sometimes show up on eBay with very low closing bids. I don't think people know what they are are when they are from.

Just won one on ebay for under $13.00! Now to find a real 433 tac ftr sqd Satans Angels patch.Tons of fakes/repos.