Another question about rust

avigo

Hi guys. I have another piece of furniture with some rust that I have some questions on.

It's a metal barrister bookcase from the 1960s supposedly from a local.

I love the piece! But the floor of each of the 5 compartments is rusted (one all the way through unfortunately)

I am struggling with what to do here.

Looking for the simplest, least intrusive method to get these to a point where I can safely use them.

Ideally I'd like to keep the rusty look. I am not looking to repaint the whole piece.

This will be in a climate controlled space from now on.

A few questions.

1. How much of the rust should I remove?

2. How should I remove it?

3. Does it need a clear coat? If so, what kind?

4. Would an oil (hemp, linseed etc) work?

5. Would a wax (furniture, carnuba, Renaissance, etc) work?

I like the idea of removing the rust with something natural like vinegar, but not sure how to do that here. I also like the idea of using something like a wax to seal this instead of like a spray clear coat just incase it needs to be remove or something. And I HATE when spray paints peel.

Really appreciate any insight here!

jx3jJb4.jpg

I use Renaissance wax ( and Citric acid as a wash to stabilize and remove oxidation) for artifacts. I suggest using " Ospho" for utility items. I use it on my armored vehicle, outdoor equipment, ammo cans, etc...the marine shipyards use it, good stuff, used to treat rust and not have to prime before painting. Ace hardware carries it. My second choice is "Evapo-rust", but it does not neutralize and convert the rust -you would have to prime it before painting. I also use Evaporust on rusted ordnance and firearms as you can control the degree of rust removal and it does not effect paint. Some pieces I do not want to have all rust removed and the bare metal finish, light neutralized rust color better then sealed with Renaissance wax.

Vinegar does not neutralize rust. Ospho is formulated to neutralize and harden rust.

I use Renaissance wax ( and Citric acid as a wash to stabilize and remove oxidation) for artifacts. I suggest using " Ospho" for utility items. I use it on my armored vehicle, outdoor equipment, ammo cans, etc...the marine shipyards use it, good stuff, used to treat rust and not have to prime before painting. Ace hardware carries it. My second choice is "Evapo-rust", but it does not neutralize and convert the rust -you would have to prime it before painting. I also use Evaporust on rusted ordnance and firearms as you can control the degree of rust removal and it does not effect paint. Some pieces I do not want to have all rust removed and the bare metal finish, light neutralized rust color better then sealed with Renaissance wax.

Vinegar does not neutralize rust. Ospho is formulated to neutralize and harden rust.

Thanks!

I don't plan on painting. I want to keep the rust look as much as possible, but prevent from spreading and make the surface usable.

Will Ospho turn the rust black? Most of the products I have looked at like that seem to turn them black.

I've been looking at "metal rescue" but that seems to strip all of the rust away.

Will the rust continue to grow it if it is not all stripped before sealing with wax?

I do have some renaissance wax. Was just curious what I needed to do to the rust before applying something like that. So would you suggest evapo rust for that? It seems to be similar to "metal rescue" and I like metal rescue because it is non-toxic and green (since this shelf will be in my house I prefer something less potent)

Thanks!

Any other advice guys? Really stuck here.

If I rub all of the loose rust off, will the rust "spread" if this is in a climate controlled environment? If not, I'd be fine leaving it as is honestly. I just don't know if removing all of the rust is necessary or not

If vinegar does not neutralize rust, how does citric acid neutralize rust? I thought they were similar

Climate controlled room will radically slow the progression of rust. To cause oxidization there are three elements needed: bare metal, moisture and air. Remove moisture, you slow the progression to the point that it almost stops.

However, I have to ask what this has to do with militaria?

Climate controlled room will radically slow the progression of rust. To cause oxidization there are three elements needed: bare metal, moisture and air. Remove moisture, you slow the progression to the point that it almost stops.

However, I have to ask what this has to do with militaria?

Thanks.

This is the "preservation" sub-forum. I'm trying to preserve a military shelf. I assumed that was related to militaria enough to post here. Was just hoping to get some advice from people who may have been in my position before.

But if this thread is not allowed in the forums, moderators please remove.

Thanks for all the help so far

If vinegar does not neutralize rust, how does citric acid neutralize rust? I thought they were similar

Citric acid works quicker and removes the discoloring in the metal caused from rust.

Citric acid works quicker and removes the discoloring in the metal caused from rust.

Im trying to preserve the patina and look of the rust. Is there any way to do that?

Thanks.

This is the "preservation" sub-forum. I'm trying to preserve a military shelf. I assumed that was related to militaria enough to post here. Was just hoping to get some advice from people who may have been in my position before.

But if this thread is not allowed in the forums, moderators please remove.

Thanks for all the help so far

My "point" is that you never said it was a military book case. From the photo, it looks like any other ordinary book shelf from a service station or repair garage. So, I asked since we don't want this to become the antique "everything but militaria preservation" sub-forum. If it has militaria history then, no problem.

My "point" is that you never said it was a military book case. From the photo, it looks like any other ordinary book shelf from a service station or repair garage. So, I asked since we don't want this to become the antique "everything but militaria preservation" sub-forum. If it has militaria history then, no problem.

Youre right. Im sorry, in my original post after local it was supposed to say military base. It wont let me edit it. Sorry again.

The shelf has military markings