Late War FB FS netted Helmet with named Liner

Blueprint

Hello everyone!

I just wanted to share my latest Acquisition.

It's a fixed bail front seam helmet with late war blackened brass buckles and net.

Due to the heavy signs of use I could not make any heat stamp out.

The cinstrap is well worn but had broken. It was fixed at some Point, but I don't know when exactly…

The helmet has many stress cracks and I guess the shell was used for cooking etc. since the top of the dome is pretty blackened and the inside looks like that there has been something made inside…

That's the point where I'm thinking that the Firestone high pressure liner is not originally matching the shell, since the liner doesn't show matching signs.

But anyway, the combination makes this set still pretty homogene and nice to look at.

The liner belonged to "Henry W. Lord" who was Born in 1908 and was put into the enlisted reserve Corps in April of 1941.

After Pearl Harbor he went back into Service as a Technician 4 Sgt. and was training future Artillerymen in the States until 1945.

He wrote his Name in the leather headband and also inscribed it farther below in the liner shell, near the removable chinstrap.

His laundry number "L-4261" is also written on the suspension.

He also neatly painted his rank on the frontsides of the liner.

All thoughts are welcome!

Greetings

Blueprint

post-180902-0-42879300-1553951816_thumb.jpg

post-180902-0-73969900-1553951829_thumb.jpg

• 2 months later...

I recently checked the helmet again for any heat stamp, but still, couldnt make out any.

Judging from the shape of the shell, might this be a Schlueter?

Can anyone with a trained eye help me?

And if so: Are there sometimes no heat stamps inside or sometimes at the strangest places?

Thanks

Blueprint

I recently checked the helmet again for any heat stamp, but still, couldnt make out any.

Judging from the shape of the shell, might this be a Schlueter?

Can anyone with a trained eye help me?

And if so: Are there sometimes no heat stamps inside or sometimes at the strangest places?

Thanks

Blueprint

Looking at the chinstraps it looks like you might be right. Could you unbuckle the straps and show pictures of the sewing that attaches the straps to the loops?

Schlueter OD#3 straps usually have a longer fold in the material before the tacking is done, and the tread is usually more pale and blends in slightly different when you compare to a McCord shells straps.

You could also compare the buckle hardware and adjustable clip on the long strap between manufacturer.

The feet/loops in the second picture of post 3 scream Schlueter too. You can spot the pronounced curve in those loops and thickness of the material McCord helmets don't have. I am pretty confident it is a Schlueter. The fixed loop Schlueter is one of the rarest helmets you can find.

The feet/loops in the second picture of post 3 scream Schlueter too. You can spot the pronounced curve in those loops and thickness of the material McCord helmets don't have. I am pretty confident it is a Schlueter. The fixed loop Schlueter is one of the rarest helmets you can find.

Those definitely look like Schlueter bails peeking out from behind the net.

Very nice helmet Blueprint. Love the net on this one!

Looking at the chinstraps it looks like you might be right. Could you unbuckle the straps and show pictures of the sewing that attaches the straps to the loops?

Schlueter OD#3 straps usually have a longer fold in the material before the tacking is done, and the tread is usually more pale and blends in slightly different when you compare to a McCord shells straps.

You could also compare the buckle hardware and adjustable clip on the long strap between manufacturer.

I couldn't unbuckle the chinstraps. They're for too long been attached together… But I took some Pictures of the sewing. Take a look :-)

Could you Show me a comparison between Schlueter and McCord Chinstrap-tacking?

I also noticed that the liner doesn't fit well into the Shell. I know that's partly because of the net but everytime I put the liner back it won't last long in there.

What do you mean to compare "the buckle Hardware" - are there some differences between Schlueter and McCord Hardware manufactures?

The fixed loop Schlueter is one of the rarest helmets you can find.

Oh really? But you mean the rarest in coherency with the technical specifications of that Schlueter? Or in General? I know they made more swivel-bails so I assume because of the fixed bail it puts it in a very early stage of production?

Very nice helmet Blueprint. Love the net on this one!

Thanks Nickman!

Here are the Pictures:

#1 Closeup of the Hardware

#2 Tacking Hook side

#3 Tacking Buckle side

Sorry if some of the Pictures are reverted. It's because of the resizer I'm using.

Blueprint

post-180902-0-58289900-1561307985_thumb.jpg

post-180902-0-09132700-1561308067_thumb.jpg

post-180902-0-04271200-1561308082_thumb.jpg

This is definitely an example of a fixed bail Schlueter. Take a look at the shape of the bails in the second picture of post #3

The first picture is of a FB Schlueter that sold on ebay just yesterday. The bails are the same shape as the ones on your helmet.

post-169952-0-17689800-1561389127.png

For comparison, the next two pictures are of an early war McCord FB helmet and a slightly later production McCord FB helmet, both of which are from my collection.

Early war McCord

post-169952-0-54852100-1561389189.jpg

Later model McCord

post-169952-0-32721700-1561389202.jpg

Notice how the shapes are completely different between the Schlueter and the McCords.

Oh really? But you mean the rarest in coherency with the technical specifications of that Schlueter? Or in General? I know they made more swivel-bails so I assume because of the fixed bail it puts it in a very early stage of production?

I would put a slight asterisk next to what Ken said and say that FB Schlueters are the most uncommon of the "standard" versions of the M1 helmet in WWII. McCord produced the majority of the helmets used in WWII so Schluters are uncommon to begin with. More importantly though, Schlueter didn't start manufacturing helmets until early 1943. In November of that same year the change from fixed bails to swivel bails was under way, so Schlueter had only 10 or so months of fixed bail helmet production. The fact that it's a fixed bail puts its production somewhere in 1943.

This generally makes FB Schlueters pretty desirable to collectors. The one I mentioned that was on ebay ended at $231 for just the shell (though the shell itself was in near mint condition).

In general the rarest of the M1 type helmets you can find would be the M2 Paratrooper or D Bail helmet.

How about the spot welds at the seam? Circular? Or Oval?

I'm currently at work the whole week and have to check it then on the weekend. Ill give a response then!

Thanks for the comparison Nick and the useful input about Schlueters!

Its like Oosterman said in his book that the Schlueters have a more pronounced/round bail shape than the McCord and I see it too on my #3 Post.

Well I paid roundabout 700$ for the complete lid.

I guess thats a fair Price? The seller couldnt state any producer. So thats one more hint that its an Schlueter I guess since the seller is pretty reputable.

How about the spot welds at the seam? Circular? Or Oval?

Checked them today Rooster. Definitively circular. That additionally prooves that this helmet is a Schlueter. Just without a heat stamp but that wasn't unusual.

Blueprint

The liner could have been cleaned at the outside at some point, but I think it shows matching wear to the shell.

Never thought about that till now. But that could be possible. I was confused because theres a high amount of rust and dirt in the center of the dome. But maybe youre right!