History on the M1917 Denim Barracks Bag?

avigo

Hey guys, just wondering if anyone had a good history of the denim barracks bag.

I know it was phased out around 1943. I've heard it was made in hemp and cotton denim.

A few specific questions.

Was it used by both the navy and the army? I always thought it was used for the Navy but doing some research it seems like it was technically a Navy Bag. Any specifics as to when it was used for either?

I see an "A" and a "B" on a lot of denim (and other) barracks bags. I've read that "A" was to accompany the solder and "B" was go in the cargo hold. Is this true? If so, any specific reason "A" and "B" are used?

Any other info anybody has would be great!

Thank you

I have one that came in a Seabee grouping that came directly from the family. If that's any evidence of limited use by the Navy.

The Navy didn't use barracks bags, they had a seabag, white canvas. But, as noted above, that doesn't mean some didn't didn't acquire them (at an Army PX or the Ship's Store), steal...uh requisitioned them from a nearby unsuspecting army unit, or even had them made (such as, by the ships tailor or in the sail locker).

The Navy didn't use barracks bags, they had a seabag, white canvas. But, as noted above, that doesn't mean some didn't didn't acquire them (at an Army PX or the Ship's Store), steal...uh requisitioned them from a nearby unsuspecting army unit, or even had them made (such as, by the ships tailor or in the sail locker).

That's funny! Makes sense I guess. I've actually only seen Navy marked denim bags

I wasn't aware it was branch specific. I have a named example to a vet who primarily served stateside with the AAF. Enlisted March 1942, and made it overseas August 1945. He was also issued a khaki bag.

Unsure of the meaning of the A or B.

I assume whatever was available at the time, was issued.

post-29885-0-62994100-1553873949_thumb.jpg

The Navy ones are larger then the Army ones.

Were there larger ones specifically made for the navy?

I own a few, and they are all Navy marked and all smaller than any regular canvas Army barracks bags I have.

Getting more confused haha

As for the A/B bag designation, the A Bag is what travels with you. The B Bag you don't normally get until your destination. Its the same process as today only using duffle bags instead of barracks bags. Bag content was defined by orders, although individuals try to cram in extra step. Typically A bag would have an extra uniform, skivvies, socks, seasonal clothing, maybe an extra meal and toiletries. B bag might have additional uniform(s), alternate seasonal clothing, extra shoes/boots.

Their are several first hand accounts of warehouses of unclaimed B bags in Europe between Normandy and end of war. Work parties would be organized to sort thru the unclaimed bags and put the clothing and articles back in circulation. You could imagine the personal items that might be found in these bags and knowing that each unclaimed bag represented a casualty.

world war I nerd

Here's my two cents on the history of the blue denim barracks bag.

Prior to WW I, the U.S. Army issued a white cotton duck barracks bag in the late 1800's. Then in the early 1910's, the white bag was replaced by a similar style of barracks bag made from light olive drab cotton duck.

In 1917, shortly after America entered WW I the olive drab barracks bag was replaced by one made from blue denim material.

Blue denim was chosen because at that time, there simply was not enough khaki or olive drab cotton duck material available in the U.S. to keep up with the rapidly growing Army's demand for other military articles, such as shelter halves, that were also made from khaki or olive drab cotton material. Because the barracks bag was never an article of equipment that would see service at the front, it didn't matter if they were blue instead of olive drab, plus in 1917 there was already plenty of American textile mills turning out blue denim fabric for the civilian market.

Attached is an image of American Doughboys, returning from France in 1919, on one of the crowded troop decks deep within the bowels of the ship. Note the blue denim barracks bags hanging from a couple of the bunks.

post-5143-0-20763700-1553949722_thumb.jpg

world war I nerd

Here's another image of a pile of very full, blue denim barracks bags, along with other equipment, waiting to be loaded into the hold of a troop ship bound for France in either 1917 or 1918.

post-5143-0-09419500-1553949853_thumb.jpg

Thanks guys! I really appreciate the input.

As for A/B did the letters and for anything, or just essential bag 1 and bag 2?

T Ambrosini

Hey guys, just wondering if anyone had a good history of the denim barracks bag.

I know it was phased out around 1943. I've heard it was made in hemp and cotton denim.

A few specific questions.

Was it used by both the navy and the army? I always thought it was used for the Navy but doing some research it seems like it was technically a Navy Bag. Any specifics as to when it was used for either?

I see an "A" and a "B" on a lot of denim (and other) barracks bags. I've read that "A" was to accompany the solder and "B" was go in the cargo hold. Is this true? If so, any specific reason "A" and "B" are used?

Any other info anybody has would be great!

Thank you

I found this notice in the April 20, 1942 issue of the Golden Gate Guardian (Presidio of San Francisco post newspaper). It looks like the blue denim barracks bags were on their way out in early 1942.

Tom

post-200450-0-49370700-1554147805.jpg

I found this notice in the April 20, 1942 issue of the Golden Gate Guardian (Presidio of San Francisco post newspaper). It looks like the blue denim barracks bags were on their way out in early 1942.

Tom

That's a cool little article!

Do you guys have any idea why these bags became so prevalent in the Navy if they weren't issued to sailors?

I'm not convinced that they weren't issued. I have never seen or heard of a navy quartermaster catalog that might shed some light, but something must exist. I did look at the 1940 and 1944 Bluejackets manual, neither one of which list a bag to stow gear with the list of issue clothing. The 1940 manual says "clothes are stowed in a bag which will be supplied". The 1944 manual says "given a sea bag in which to stow your clothes". So clearly something was issued to sailors. Both manuals talk about stowing the bags and bag inspections.

I'm not convinced that they weren't issued. I have never seen or heard of a navy quartermaster catalog that might shed some light, but something must exist. I did look at the 1940 and 1944 Bluejackets manual, neither one of which list a bag to stow gear with the list of issue clothing. The 1940 manual says "clothes are stowed in a bag which will be supplied". The 1944 manual says "given a sea bag in which to stow your clothes". So clearly something was issued to sailors. Both manuals talk about stowing the bags and bag inspections.

I also checked the blue jacket and couldn't find anything specific.

It's interesting that this seems to be an army/navy crossover piece. Pretty cool

Do you guys have any idea why these bags became so prevalent in the Navy if they weren't issued to sailors?

Because sailors are thieves....I mean, great scroungers. I'm not sure how prevalent they were in the Navy. Can't recall seeing many pictures of them.

If you have a picture of some Navy marked ones, post them. Would love to see them.

Here are a few just googling really quickly.

Two of my favorite pieces in my collection are heavily USN stenciled denim bags. I'll try to get photos

s-l1000.jpg

UKIf3ln.jpg

There is an eBay auction on right now for a WW1 Soldier's gear with a really neat denim bag that is unit marked.

I have no affiliation with the seller, I include the link so you can see more pictures...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/WW1-LOT-INDIAN-HEAD-DOUGHBOY-HELMET-101st-Airborne-Denim-Duffle-Bag-Gas-Mask-NR/183754956767?_trksid=p2485497.m4902.l9144

post-122639-0-25261200-1554493079.jpg

There is an eBay auction on right now for a WW1 Soldier's gear with a really neat denim bag that is unit marked.

I have no affiliation with the seller, I include the link so you can see more pictures...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/WW1-LOT-INDIAN-HEAD-DOUGHBOY-HELMET-101st-Airborne-Denim-Duffle-Bag-Gas-Mask-NR/183754956767?_trksid=p2485497.m4902.l9144

Wow, that's a great bag and helmet!