Another one that slipped thru on ebay

mortaydc60

This patch had only 2 or 3 bidders and went for $26. What I believe happened was that the ebay community thought it was just another OD border 2nd Corps. Now if they were ASMIC members and read the Trading Post they would have seen that it was actually a rare border branch color for Armor. From the article we know there is yellow for Cav and blue for Inf and red for Engineer (NOT Artillery) as was common belief. Read the article and then you will see the distinction between OD and Armor and get yourself a nice pickup.

post-565-0-17832000-1553453389.jpg

post-565-0-28369600-1553453397.jpg

ocsfollowme

Can you reference the ASMIC trading post?

It is built the same way as the orange, yellow and red ones. But to me just an OD border. Unless the TP talks about it as a series.

Hi Steve,the article is in the Oct/Dec 2018 issue on pg39 titled "Branch Colors of WW2 First Army and Second Corps patches" by Ken Pavlicek. The article is very well done by well known collector who has been researching this for years. You will also see two other branch colors that had not ever been seen before or atleast ID, and will take credit for providing them to Ken after years of asking me to sell them to him. Ken explains and gives some documentation as to how to tell an OD border from this Armor border. To me this was a huge discovery. Don't be too quick to dismiss this.

Trust me most do not know what to look for and the one on Feb just lucked out and thought they got an OD border and probably still do not know what they have.

Dr. Mort is correct. Here is the basic topic of the article, summarized for the USMF.

The ASMIC Trading Post (Oct-Dec 2018) presented to its membership an article concerning Army branch colors. As the Editor for the magazine, I submit the following three images in support of this forum discussion concerning the post by Dr. Mort Cohen. Using the TIOH blazon for the II Army Corps, compare and contrast the differences between a II Army Corps Armored Force SSI with variations of olive drab borders. The blue margin of the standard II Army Corps SSI is bounded by olive drab thread that defines an OD border. The branch colors that represented the Armored Force are green and white and they define the said border of a Armored Force II Army Corps patch.

While we had permission to use their info from their website, it was timed out by the time of publication. I used a real II Corps patch (below) and here is their official description of the patch.

Description/Blazon

On a blue panel 3 inches (7.62cm) in length and 2 inches (5.06cm) in height, with rounded corners, within a white border 1/8 inch (.32cm) wide and with 1/8 inch (.32) blue margin, the Roman numeral II between on the dexter side a rising eagle and on the sinister side a rampant lion, facing each other all in white.

post-622-0-85091700-1553471182.jpg

Here are some ODB II Corps patches, not branch colors and not the patch which is the subject of this thread . Note the OD cables contact the official blue border of the patch, but not the white inner border.

post-622-0-56343600-1553471549.jpg

post-622-0-10623600-1553471655.jpg

Finally, here is the II Corps patch that began this thread (left) and another (right). Note how the olive borders contact the white inner border, and there is no blue sandwiched between the white inner border and the olive outer border.

Both are for armor units stationed within II Corps area. There was at least one, perhaps two separate tank battalions active at the time.

post-622-0-79963400-1553471997.jpg

Another case study on why to join ASMIC. This is like the new commercial on TV about puting bacon on the french fries saying it is no good. Bacon is good on everything and so is joining ASMIC,

lamarhooten

I might have to print this thread up! I have gotten tired of trying to get other collectors that "know' their patches and disagree with the facts about the blue-white-green border versions of this patch. I have already bought one from a collector that thought he just had two OD border ones and didn't need an extra! Then again.... maybe I ought to just buy up all the "just an OD border" ones from the unknowing! ;)

Looking at this from a different point if there was a branch color for Armor why not make the color more like the green used on the overseas caps piping?...just a thought that comes to mind as the color used is so much like any other color of OD border patch

The overseas piping is two tone ie.green and white. So do not think they would bother to make a two tone border. This was war time and would think they would use what was expeditious and readily available and cheap to manufacture. The Dept of Heraldry clearly states how the patch is to be made on their website and mentions how to treat branch colors,end of story.

The overseas piping is two tone ie.green and white. So do not think they would bother to make a two tone border. This was war time and would think they would use what was expeditious and readily available and cheap to manufacture. The Dept of Heraldry clearly states how the patch is to be made on their website and mentions how to treat branch colors,end of story.

I know the piping is two colored just thought if green was used the shade would be closer in color to the branch.