Skull knuckle knife - eye candy or eye sore

ArchangelDM

ArchangelDM

Evening gents

I purchased this knife on the basis I love the skull and the actual shape of it.

A good basis to buy on but its out of my collecting zone so would love some info from you good folks here on the forum.

I think the blade could be a Fairbairn and Sykes, or the USMC stiletto type.

The skull is made of bone and there is a name also.

Whats your thoughts on it, and would you say USMC theatre made or army theatre made

Thanks In advance

- Dean

militariaone

Greetings Dean,

IMHO, this is a less than 20 years old set (& may very be less than 10). The trait that causes me most concern is the scabbard. That particular applied brown luster finish/color is very indicative of a recently produced, yet finished to look vintage piece. Note a few same exact color's finished scabbards on this thread http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/198457-franken-spike/?hl=franken-spike

Quite a few knives, which attempt to garner a "genuine" theater made WWII moniker possess this same (exact) applied brown finished scabbard's scheme and whenever I view that color (& a shoddily put together scabbard); there's really no point in bothering with the knife contained therein. Often, you may smell a decidedly fresh chemical scent, which accompanies these faux aged leather scabbards, but not always.

This set has a better chance of being a gift for a GWOT Veteran, than being a contemporary WWII piece, it just doesn't exhibit 70+ years of age. Skull appears to be an individual's take on the Punisher's Logo too (not a typical WWII's era US Skull's motif).

Yes, the scabbard could be a recently made item lovingly made for a genuine WWII theater made knife, but I would (still) pass and look for something less convoluted to purchase.

Respectfully,

Lance

ArchangelDM

Thankyou Lance for your detailed opinion on the knife.

Il write to the sellers and put this to them

Yours

Dean

militariaone

Thankyou Lance for your detailed opinion on the knife.

Il write to the sellers and put this to them

Yours

Dean

No sweat, Dean. :-)

Best,

V/r Lance

militariaone

BTW Dean,

Same sellers, sold this naval themed "beauty" last month. Please, note the exact same colored finish on that knife's ahem "vintage" scabbard. While they offer plenty of genuine articles, they offer more than enough questionable ones to be purely coincidental. But for the time being, if you encounter that particular colored leather scabbard proceed with extreme caution.

Caveat emptor,

V/r Lance

post-31352-0-42452300-1553379404_thumb.jpg

For some addtional input, the skull is a fairly modern design more synonunous with the Marvel comics Punisher, very popular and copied quite a bit. This attribute would be a huge red flag for me, IMO, a modern fantasy piece.

post-56-0-40603700-1553380853_thumb.jpg