M1912 Ration Bags, Evacuation Hospital Marked

atb

I recently acquired this example of the M1912 Ration Bag. It is marked to Evacuation Hospital No. 8. ("E.H. 8"). The belt and stay straps are missing, but otherwise it's complete and in good condition. Both components are marked "R.I.A. 1917."

One anomaly is how the main straps are attached on the reverse. Below, on the right, is my new one with the straps sewn directly to the body. It is the first one like that I've seen. On the left is another example I have with the more "normal" strap attachment by large "D" rings. I had at one time thought bags like this were reworked after the war. Was there a change in production methods or modifications directed at some time? I checked the interior and cannot see the remains of prior stitching.

The book, Stretchers, was written by a soldier of Evacuation Hospital No. 8.

Anyone have a spare set of the belt and stay straps available?

post-943-0-33301400-1553361176_thumb.jpg

milsurp_scout_14

I don't have any definite information, but I'd have to guess it might have been a metal-saving measure that caused them to sew the straps on. I have an example like the one of the left with metal attachments. Perhaps they took some belated interest in the comfort of the wearer, as those metal pieces make wearing it backpack-style terrible!

• 4 years later...

At a show yesterday, I examined another set of "R.I.A. 1917" marked Ration Bags with the sewn strap connections. The seller and I talked of the possibility that the early production bags used the sewn construction and it proved to be a weak point in actual use. Maybe the metal attachment hardware was adopted to replace it.

The set I have were never used and the swivel buckles were "stuck" in the upright position.  It took quite a bit of force to get them to swivel as designed, and they still are very stiff to move. I agree, they would be very uncomfortable  to wear.  This had to be one of the very late sets made, dated 10-18 and 11-18 by Long.  All the leather ties are present and have not been tied at all. I really like the F.H.S. 63 markings on ATB's set, it adds a lot of character and actual purpose to the set. I did not know some of those made had sewn on straps either. Thanks for posting.

Steve

DSCN1472.JPG

DSCN1474.JPG