Original M2 Helmet Out Of The Woodwork

MasonK

It is also interesting to me that he would spell his name wrong.

Maybe it is NOT Lannon's helmet???

Just posing the question.

Maybe it is really "George E. Lannan"'s helmet.

So whats why it might be that this is a Korean War helmet?

I couldnt find a George E Lannon in the WW2 Army Enlistment neither with his Laundry Number.

So the ration paper on which George E would be 18 by the time the Korean War was starting, the dog Tag and the possibly laundry Number which indicates GE3607 or G3607 might be all Korean Era?

Blueprint

Hmm I'm not a expert on M2's but since some WW2 Liners/Helmets were still issued in Vietnam, I thought that some M2 leftovers could be issued in Korea, too.

Just my two Cents.

It's just strange that I couldn't find any matching hint, relating to the laundry number or the Name in the NARA WW2 Army Archives.

Ok, so it's definitely George E Lannan, which Tyler already stated. Obviously an error in the spelling on his dog tag. He's also not a Jr, as the father's middle name is Sherwood.

Seller stated father and son both shared the name George. Born in Arkansas, died in California.

post-29885-0-42618300-1553611488.jpg

Based on the ration booklet, he was 13 sometime around 1941-1945, so I searched the name with a birth year of 1930 +/-2. Found a hit for a George Lannan in the 1940 census, born around 1930, living in Arizona (seller is from AZ), however born in Arkansas. Father's name is George as well.

post-29885-0-13781900-1553611604_thumb.jpg

Father was born around 1902, so I searched his name and approximate birth year, and found a George Sherwood Lannan, born in Arkansas, died in Los Angeles, CA, which is not far from Long Beach. Corroborating what the seller said.

post-29885-0-56957900-1553611811_thumb.jpg

I then searched George Lannan, b. 1930, and found he passed in 1989, also in Los Angeles, CA.

post-29885-0-25768000-1553611896.jpg

So, either the son was issued the d-loop post-WWII, or he threw his name on his fathers helmet when playing war outback with his friends (no record of his fathering having served). That, or he picked up the helmet from a surplus store.

Many possibilities....

Based on the ration booklet, he was 13 sometime around 1941-1945, so I searched the name with a birth year of 1930 +/-2. Found a hit for a George Lannan in the 1940 census, born around 1930, living in Arizona (seller is from AZ), however born in Arkansas. Father's name is George as well.

attachicon.gifphp7oeln3AM.jpg

Wow, I messed this up. Should read:

Based on the ration booklet, he was 13 sometime around 1941-1945, so I searched the name with a birth year of 1930 +/-2. Found a hit for a George E Lannan in the 1940 census, born around 1930 in Arizona (seller is from AZ), living in Los Angeles, CA. Father's name is George as well, born in Arkansas.