Original M2 Helmet Out Of The Woodwork

MasonK

Well, I've checked another item off the list of items that I never thought I would acquire. I picked this up from the nephew of the vet. Some inconsistencies in his story, however I believe the set overall to be original.

Shell is a D-loop, missing one loop and both chinstraps, unfortunately. Lot # is 228, so within the range for a D-loop. Liner is an early Westinghouse.

Inside the shell is the name of the uncle. I also have a 1948 dog tag (RA service #) bearing the same name. Last name is spelled differently on both. Don't have Ancestry or Fold3, but no enlistment records matching the name or service # on NARA. The nephew mentioned Korean War service as well, but was a bit unsure. Another layer to the mystery.

Stamped inside the liner is a laundry #, which I'm having a hard time reading. Appears to read E3693 or 3697? Letter could be something else. It's been double stamped, so hard to decipher. I've posted an inverted image, but it's not really helping. Any ideas? Regardless, doesn't help with the name in the shell.

In any case, additional research is needed. however in the meantime, I thought I'd share some photos of the helmet. I believe the shell and liner have been together for some time.

Comments good or bad are welcomed. Thanks!

post-29885-0-82920500-1553288824_thumb.jpg

post-29885-0-69789700-1553288832_thumb.jpg

And to add further confusion, a war ration booklet, same name, but says his age is 13. Leaning towards this belonging to gentlemen identified in the dog tag above. If the ration booklet is from around 1942/1943, he would have turned 18 in 1948, old enough to enlist.

Possibly the helmet belonged to his father? Or, maybe he was issued an M2 in 1948? Unlikely, but plausible?

post-29885-0-83782900-1553289572_thumb.jpg

I found a WWII George Lannon whose laundary mark was L 3307. It certainly looks like you can see a "3307" in the double stamped numbers in the liner.

helm1.png

I found a WWII George Lannon whose laundary mark was L 3307. It certainly looks like you can see a "3307" in the double stamped numbers in the liner.

attachicon.gif helm1.png

Thanks, Bob. Unfortunately, thats his SSN. Laundrymark wouldve been the last 4 of his ASN.

I bet he has a son with the same name

I considered the dog tag may have been a Jr, or he and his father had the same first/middle initials, but different names.

His last name is Lannan not Lannon. I suppose there could be a typo on that enlistment record.

I just spoke with his nephew and he confirmed the spelling is Lannon, with an O. He also said there was a father and son, both named George. Going to have to renew my Ancestry for a month!

Wouldn't JR be marked on the dog tag though?

I would assume so, but also possible they didnt share the same middle name, so he wouldnt be a Jr.

For me the laundry # definitely looks more to be 3607?

Thanks, Blueprint! I think you nailed it. Definitely a 0 in the 3rd digit spot.

I agree 3607 I am not sure what the first letter is however.

Looks like it could be a "G" or "O".

It does not look like an "L" to me.

Hopefully I am wrong.

Then again there is no way to say for sure that the laundry number is actually Lannon's.

Maybe it was recycled.