Help to ID Jump Wings

Hello all, I am in doubt concerning these Jump Wings, not sure if they're WWII foreign made or dating from the 50s. Any help would be welcome.

Regards.

Cesar.

post-19-0-04127200-1553216972_thumb.jpg

triplecanopy

They are authentic post WWII jump wings made in the USA by the ROBBINS Co of Massachusetts. They date from around 1950.

I've always argued that I believe this hallmark to actually date to the WWII period based one having found them in the hands of WWII veterans. One particular example is that WWII 506th PIR veteran an author of "Currahee" Donald Burgett had one of these wings that he firmly stated were the wings worn by his brother who was a paratrooper killed during the war.

I also had conversations with representatives of the Robins Company as early as the late 1970's where they could not definitively state when they changed their hallmarks. I find it interesting that the company could go from not having any information to collectors being able to pinpoint the date.

Allan

Patrick,

The most important issue that has never been fully determined is whether or not Russ is a fishing cheat? :lol:

I think that I'll leave my winged R parachute badge in with my WWII badges, but where others decide to put their examples is entirely up to them. :D

Allan

I don't know for sure whether the winged R hallmark was used during WW2 or not but here are my observations pertaining to this hallmark and paratrooper wings. I too thought this was a WW2 era paratrooper wing until a number of different flight wing collectors on the forum indicated that it was a post war hallmark. I then went into my reference photographs and found what I feel is an earlier Robbins hallmark (see photos) on a paratrooper wing that is more than likely their WW2 wing. You don't come across paratrooper wings with this earlier hallmark very often as they are very scarce while the winged R hallmark paratrooper wings are much more abundant. This could indicate that they are more abundant because they were available for a longer period of time after WW2 or they were used both during (late war) and afterwards (post war). It looks like different dies were used as there is always a depressed shallow dimple above the hallmark on the earlier hallmarked wings. The rear fixings are the same on both wings. If the winged R hallmark was used during WW2 then the Robbins Company went to the trouble of changing their hallmark somewhere during the 5 years the USA was at war. I've seen the winged R hallmark on a clutch back version of this paratrooper wing but I have never come across a clutch back version with the earlier hallmark. Although clutch back insignia was available during WW2 they are more abundant on post war and current insignia. You come across the winged R hallmark on post war US Master paratrooper wings which is a post war piece as the senior and master wings were not authorized until 1949. I have never some across a Master paratrooper wing with the earlier hallmark. Lastly I came across this photograph of a US Army aviator wing with the winged R which is post war piece as they were not authorized for wear until 1950. So everything seems to point to the winged R hallmark as being post war although it could have been a late war change and continued to be used into the post war era.

post-1389-0-50447000-1553570164_thumb.jpg

post-1389-0-64064600-1553570190_thumb.jpg

post-1389-0-17134500-1553570208_thumb.jpg

post-1389-0-37962800-1553570310.jpg

Clutch back versions of the winged R hallmark and the same hallmark on an Army aviator wing.

post-1389-0-83009400-1553570364.jpg

post-1389-0-15295100-1553570384.jpg

post-1389-0-90177700-1553570397.jpg

post-1389-0-81741400-1553570432_thumb.jpg

triplecanopy

I'll have a slice of humble pie. I did not mean to answer the above question that began this thread and pinpoint a date of 1st manufacture of the "Flying R" hallmark. Like Dennis, I have noticed that the flying R hallmark has been definitely used on post-WWII insignia where the Robbins -Attleboro logo seems to only be found only on WWII era and earlier badges. That said, I do NOT know when the change over of hallmarks occurred. It may well have been during WWII as evidenced by Allan's example. Robbins made a bunch of metal badges, charms and even Boy Scout badges.

post-48217-0-35517600-1553621329_thumb.jpg