This one slipped through the cracks

mortaydc60

Saw this UNKNOWN listed on ebay. Only two people really bid on it for all intent and purpose at the last second. Turns out to be a real rare WW2 Transportation unit. The ASMIC Trading Post did a small article on it years ago. Unfortunately do not remember the correct ID. Wanted forum to see what the patch looks like so they could watch for it in the future.

post-565-0-78438500-1553024875.jpg

post-565-0-19762700-1553024885.jpg

Final price was a ridiculous $71. Would be very surprised this patch was on a jacket and most likely it was a very similar patch that I believe is Australian but has the anchor, etc so easily mistaken.

ocsfollowme

I purchased it. =) 35th Transportation Corps Service Group. At the price it was worth taking the risk. I have not seen a Butler remake of it. I thought it could have been Australian made. I will obviously post scans in a few days when it arrives.

lamarhooten

Just what is this patch worth? Any known auction with the proper id and value or sold value? Has Bill Scott ever had one for sale? Or Dr. Mort. Have one myself on a jacket that came with Coast Arty disk on it. Might have to dig it out for the Portland ASMIC show. Will try to get pics of it posted. My piece is a lot like the first one shown. Any idea on the Trading Post issue it was shown in. Thanks to you all and see you in Portland!

ocsfollowme

Worth? Rarer than the 4025 Signal Service Group and the JASCO patch. Maybe Scotty has sold one. I would love to see your uniform collection lamarhooten!

Steve there was no risk with the patch,looks as good as gold. I was wrong about jacket;never saw the one referred to and ask Bearmom to excuse my assumption now that Steve has posted the jacket listing. Agree with estimate of value and this is much rarer than JASCO or 4025.

ocsfollowme

Nothing glows and there is a small moth nip on the front bottom. Smells of age and there is a small green thread stuck through the edge.

post-122868-0-74746900-1553222141_thumb.jpg

ocsfollowme

Thanks bearmon. The interesting thing is that on the patch previously posted I could see how it was to the 35th. Mine looks "57" or a sloppy 3 that looks like a 5 but then the 5 doesn't look like the 7.

lamarhooten

Another view of it and other ones. Sorry for the uniform pics. These are old pics and the uniforms are now in storage. Can't really get a better pic of the patch by it self. post-3643-0-01111300-1553312275_thumb.jpg

lamarhooten

I wonder if the number of known patches is higher than 6 or so?!?! My jacket is named to a J. Kaufman, I wonder if tredhead knows him! ;) And yes, I see that the two patches are very much the same in construction. Bring yours up to Portland ASMIC show and we can compare.

That is a good guess as to number known and could be high. What I noticed comparing the two patches was that on Steves the first number appears to be a five but think actually the squibbled thing before the five I think is actually the number three as seen in Lamarhooten's patch,which is the 35th we were looking to see. Again a great find.

• 5 weeks later...
ocsfollowme

I picked this one up too. Still unidentified.

It's twill cousin is located here in this thread http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/166978-unknown-blue-anchor-combat-patch-on-army-uniform/?hl=transportation&do=findComment&comment=1268410

This one is wool. Most likely Australian made too. The workmanship is really nice.

post-122868-0-91250000-1555959572_thumb.jpg

The radial engine is a ship's wheel. The Southern Cross below the anchor identifies it as a South Pacific Theater as does the Aussie manufacturing. I'll bet they are the same unit, but who knows?

Allan