Prototype USMC M1941 knapsack

WWII_GI

I came across this pack a few weeks back and although it looks like a normal depot made USMC knapsack but it has some weird features. The strap buckles are sewn on to the inside of the flap and the buckle for the coupling strap is much larger than the normal buckles, it looks like the same buckle used on the trouser belts.

I scoured the internet and looked for similar lower packs but I could not find another like it. I did find a picture of the same style pack in the M1941 field pack system booklet. I also found the same pictures in the book "Grunt Gear" and the author states it as a prototype pack that was later updated to the the first pattern D Ring DQP made pack set. The book also says "A memo dated August 22, 1941, from the Major General Commandant to the Commanding General of the Second Marine division states that 25 pilot models of the newly manufactured packs would be delivered in the near future. The same pilot model packs were sent to the equipment board and along with the request for testing to be carried out and recommendations be made by no later than September 15, 1941. The author believes that this last reexamination and improvements of the prototype pack brought about what came to be known as the M1941 pack system".

I have included a picture from the M1941 pack booklet and pictures of the pack in question. I have compared the pack to an original D-ring haversack and a DQP made riveted knapsack.

I wish I could find more information on the development of the M1941 pack but besides whats in Grunt Gear theres nothing else that I could find.

Has anyone ever come across one of these prototype packs?

Thanks for looking!

-Steven

post-104606-0-51469600-1552866516_thumb.jpgpost-104606-0-51788300-1552866723.jpg

I believe that's one of the very rarest of the M1941 variants...here's hoping you can find the upper Haversack!!

Tremendous find!

I believe that's one of the very rarest of the M1941 variants...here's hoping you can find the upper Haversack!!

Tremendous find!

Thank you! Im really happy to have it! Have you ever seen another? I could not find any posted online but there has to be more out there.

-Steven

Thank you! Im really happy to have it! Have you ever seen another? I could not find any posted online but there has to be more out there.

-Steven

The only example of the one you just scored I've ever seen is in the Pack Manual.

Below is the earliest M1941 rig I have. I have never seen one like yours, but that's not to say that there aren't more hanging around various places.

post-3226-0-66476900-1553128869_thumb.jpg

The only example of the one you just scored I've ever seen is in the Pack Manual.

Below is the earliest M1941 rig I have. I have never seen one like yours, but that's not to say that there aren't more hanging around various places.

Truly amazing, hopefully another one turns up one day! That D-ring set is amazing, I always love to see the orange trim canvas!

Thank you

-Steven