Which Collar Disc?

derrbrad

If a national guard unit was federalized and sent to be part of the AEF in France. What collar disc would they most likely have worn overseas? Standard US, USNA, US w/ NG, or something else entirely. Any help is appreciated.

The following designations were:

Regular Army Divisions were the 1st through 8th Division.

National Guard was 26th through 42nd Divisions

National Army was 76th through 93rd Divisions

However by the middle of 1918 most designations ie NA, NG, USV etc had been removed and only the US was being worn. The US with designation attached or the disc with NA, NG etc was still authorized until supplies were exhausted. Any of the above would be proper through the end of the war depending upon unit.

Hope this makes some sense.

Long sold, but once had a 37th Division grouping uniform from a unit that had started out in the Ohio National Guard. The soldier had also seen service on the Mexican border in 1916-17. That uniform had post war insignia (SSI OSS, Discharge chevron, etc) and OHIO collar disks on one side and plain Infantry on the other.

What Terry says above is true--based on the regulations, but in practice the Doughboys often wore what they had or what they thought they could get away with.

There are many possible permutations but since you asked what was likely, in my opinion, from most to least:

1. US

2. USNG (script)

3. US[NG] (block)

4. US with regimental number

5. US [NG} with regimental number

6. USNA (script)

7. US{NA] (block)

8. US{NA] with regimental number

9. State

10. No insignia at all

11. US (includes NG and NA varieties) disks on both sides of collar

12. Branch disks on both sides of collar

13. Officer insignia worn in lieu of Enlisted

14. Overcoat buttons worn in lieu of collar insignia

Chris

Thanks guys, Makes sense. Seems the photos Iv'e seen of National guard over in France and in the states during this time was a jumble of all styles. I'm trying to put together a shadow box for my father of his grandfather, but of course the only picture that exists of him in uniform the collar discs are too fuzzy to make out. I'll probably just grab a standard US and call it good, No one but me would know there was anything other than that anyways. :)