2 replies to this topic

#1 Abomb

Abomb
  • Members
    • Member ID: 7,656
  • 35 posts

Posted 10 March 2019 - 07:45 PM

Hello, all,

I grab any interesting 13th Armored Division items. I obtained this greeting card recently with what I believe may be  a Disney design. It has no Disney copyright but it has the right style, I think. Photos below.

Y 13th armrd xmas card 1944  copy (Small).jpg

Y Xmas card 1944 13th armored  (Small).jpg

Bill G.

#2 Thor996

Thor996
  • Members
    • Member ID: 30,395
  • 2,755 posts

Posted 10 March 2019 - 08:29 PM

I'd say that's Disney inspired at the very least. The unit did have a Disney designed black cat insignia ..

Disney Dave has a facebook page and he has this on a thread there. He states in part "and think this was a serviceman in the units attempt at recreating the cat on another card". See his facebook page:  Disney and the War and search on 13th Armored Division and Christmas.

hope that helps

Edited by Thor996, 10 March 2019 - 08:36 PM.

#3 disneydave

disneydave

Forum Subject Advisor

• FORUM SUBJECT ADVISOR
    • Member ID: 524
  • 1,199 posts

Posted 11 March 2019 - 01:30 PM

Yes, Thor is correct. I believe this image was based loosely on the unit's cat design created by Disney artist Hank Porter. I have two cards for the unit with their cat on it, as well as a softcover history book published before they went overseas that features a back cover photo of the unit's C.O. standing beside their Disney insignia, and a publication related to a stage show men in the unit performed before deploying.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users