December 7th 1941 KIA USS Arizona Purple Heart

kcmo

Everyone. thanks for the posts and feedback.

VB21, thanks for taking the time to post all the information on him. It is very appreciated.

aerialbridge

For US medal collectors, an Arizona posthumous PH is certainly one of the big "check-offs" that few get- congrats. With three surviving brothers that also served and must have been proud of their service, which you'd think would carry over to their children, it's perplexing that three or four generations later, with presumably a decent number of descendants from his siblings, that such a historic and iconic group was not wanted. That said, it won't be "lost" now as there will always be a collector, if not many, that would be honored to be the caretaker of this group.

Why family's decide not to keep this medals I will never fully understand but I'm glad that they sell or give them away rather then trash them. I've got more than my fair share from the direct family members over the years.

Of note while looking through other groupings in my collection, I found two brothers who were also lost in the war from San Bernardino, CA and lived about three miles from the Huntington family.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/239946-wwii-kia-brothers-usnusmc-phngcm-grouping/?hl=%2Buss+%2Bhonolulu

aerialbridge

Why family's decide not to keep this medals I will never fully understand but I'm glad that they sell or give them away rather then trash them. I've got more than my fair share from the direct family members over the years.

Of note while looking through other groupings in my collection, I found two brothers who were also lost in the war from San Bernardino, CA and lived about three miles from the Huntington family.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/239946-wwii-kia-brothers-usnusmc-phngcm-grouping/?hl=%2Buss+%2Bhonolulu

Indeed. This San Berdoo USN KIA PH remains with the family a few doors from me. Exec. med. officer, USS Birmingham, KIA May 1945.

post-18406-0-11688600-1552166485.png

post-171564-0-68803300-1552177623.png

• 8 months later...