British Ludlow Glider Pilot sterling silver wings

jonesy1275

These Brit made sterling silver Glider Pilots wings manufactured by Ludlow flashed up on Ebay yesterday. I've always wanted a Brit made set of Glider Pilots wings but the listing was taken down within a few hours.

They appear to be different to other styles of Ludlow wings I've seen so I just wanted to learn if they were good or not.

Regards,

Neil.

post-72146-0-70370900-1551786656_thumb.jpg

post-72146-0-51852800-1551786690_thumb.jpg

post-72146-0-51134300-1551786721_thumb.jpg

Personally, I don't think I've ever seen a Ludlow wing with the soldered on maker's mark that I have thought was original. I can't wait to see what the others say.

As an aside, I don't see a similar wing on Bob Schwartz's excellent WW2Wings website.

Allan

Allan,

Bob's website was my first point of call and you're right, I never found a Ludlow wing like what was on Ebay. Then I found that website with an identical wing being featured.

triplecanopy

From what I have learned in collecting Parachute wings, the applied metal hallmark is a Big Red Flag and often used by fakers. So I would be suspicious of these wings without further evidence to the contrary.

I wouldn’t touch it, personally. Suspect maker mark, suspect hinge. I also don’t like how the shield seems to have been applied. Real Ludlows were soldered crudely onto a standard pilot wing. That looks riveted. Also the ‘topography’ of the reverse doesn’t look standard Ludlow. Also just noticed the faint ‘sterling silver’ stamp. Ludlows tends to be of brass and sliver washed. Added to which if it were British sterling silver it would be assay marked rather than say ‘sterling’.

It looks to be a casting with soft rounded edges and rough bumpy reverse rather then a sharp die struck. Would that be normal for Ludlow?

This is a very "busy" wing, with all sorts of stuff going on. Unique Victorian era-like T-pin, non-correct (for the British) STERLING SILVER hallmark (on what looks to be a pot metal wing), a cast plaque with firm's name added to the back (as if you weren't exactly sure who made them), and some sort of "riveted" "G" that looks like it was put on by a blacksmith's apprentice.

The finish on the wing has that "patina-in-a-can" feel and has all the signs of being cast (including pits, inclusions, and various other bumps and injection flaws).

I am almost surprised that someone didn't use a nail (or a dremel bit) and engrave it with a date and location.... something like "6/6/44 Normandy" and "Hedgerow Hopper".

But never say never...

Ironically, I suspect that this is one of those things that is SO messed up that someone could think of all sorts of reasons why it could be good. I kind of like to think of it as when you are in a bar and hit on the drunk "hot-mess" girl with the Hell's Angeles tattoo. You know better, but... LOL!

P

I see that Glider Pilot grouping mentioned above, sold for $5,000!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/WWII-IDd-436th-TROOP-CARRIER-81st-SQ-GLIDER-PILOT-UNIFORM-JACKET-W-LUDLOW-WING-/202614878621?_trksid=p2047675.m43663.l10137&nordt=true&rt=nc&orig_cvip=true

Did any more information about that strangely constructed Glider Pilot wing surface? I agree with all of you whom have serious doubts of its authenticity.

It's certainly a far-cry different than other known authentic Ludlow-made Glider pilot badges... Or any other Ludlow-made aerial rating, especially with that "afterthought" hallmark tab attached? I wonder if the curators at the "Silent Wings Museum" in Lubbock can shed some light?

Ludlow Glider Pilot A1.jpg

Ludlow Glider Pilot B.jpg

Looks like elements from these three authentic Glider Pilot wings may have found their way into the badge that started this thread?

Ludlow Glider Pilot C.jpg

Ludlow Glider Pilot D.jpg

Very nice Glider pilot wings....I’d like to find one for the tunic I purchased over the summer which is ID’d and researched..