Question about Army Pith Helmets

stratasfan

Pith Helmets . . . always loved them, but never really looked into them. However, I have a question. Sis has this picture of a young Brit wearing a pith helmet (he was in Egypt in the early 1900s).

post-151812-0-13224600-1551721162_thumb.jpg

Now, I've mostly seen pictures of US Army and USMC pith helmets from WWII. They all seem to look pretty similar to me. Is there a US pith helmet that would look similar to this in the photo? Are there affordable pith helmets? I know I've seen a couple on here in the past form the Vietnam era. A newer one that looked similar would work great. How late did they use military pith helmets in the US?

As you can see, I'm kind of looking for basics. Any thoughts are appreciated! Would love to surprise Sis with a similar pith helmet one day, but don't know enough about them to start looking/asking! :)

Elizabeth

Salvage Sailor

Aloha Elizabeth,

See page 421 here https://books.google.com/books?id=hTRBAQAAMAAJ&pg=PA771&dq=OUR+ISLANDS+AND+THERE+PEOPLE+CUBA,+PHILIPPINES,+PORTO+RICO,+HAWAII&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiep4jtj-ngAhUWvJ4KHeHpDsUQ6AEILDAA#v=onepage&q=421&f=false

Portion of the 38th Regiment in transit from Honolulu to the Philippines, 1899 (click on the 'page 421' and zoom in on the photograph)

Great link, thanks for sharing!

I know that in the 1950-60s, the USAF took standard khaki piths and painted them blue (yet to find one for my collection). I do have one that was painted camo, probably for Navy use onshore, and a USMC one worn in the past 20 years at Gitmo. They are still seen here and there in photos today, see: http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/289341-pith-helmet-help/?hl=pith&do=findComment&comment=2327804

Is there a US pith helmet that would look similar to this in the photo? Are there affordable pith helmets? I know I've seen a couple on here in the past form the Vietnam era. A newer one that looked similar would work great. How late did they use military pith helmets in the US?

As you can see, I'm kind of looking for basics. Any thoughts are appreciated! Would love to surprise Sis with a similar pith helmet one day, but don't know enough about them to start looking/asking! :)

Those more British-looking helmets were used by US forces in the 1800s but they never really caught on for wear in the field, people preferred broad-brimmed straw or light colored hats. White helmets were used for dress uniforms, though, in all the services.

There are reproductions of many different styles of helmet that are not too hard to Google up. The British style that is more like a Bobby police helmet, with a small brim with points in the front and back is often called the "foreign service helmet;" in khaki it's often associated with the Boer War. The "Wolseley" type is the kind in the photo, I think, with a broader brim, a point in the front and a longer rounded back. That seemed to take over in British forces in the early 20th century. The Royal Marines Band still wears them.

By WW2 US pith helmets were the familiar round shape. I think they were authorized in all forces for hot weather, but didn't become widely popular.

Justin B.

Thanks! 'll try searching for that style. I appreciate the info! I wouldn't have know about the different styles!

I believe there is an Army pith helmet that appears in some versions of the US Army uniform reg AR-670-1.

I also believe Shelby Stantons books feature US Pith helmet photographs. The US pith helmets are smaller and shorter than the British ones pictured above, and they have a round grommet for an officer or enlisted cap device.

Not from the Army, but from the olden days...

Navy captain inspecting marines (and their pet goat) in the 1890s:

post-3982-0-85757900-1551832064_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Salvage Sailor

Another great period photo of Army tropical helmets posted here in our Ephemera section

• 2 years later...

Hi Elizabeth.  Pith helmets are cool!  Here are mine.  The green one is an original 1944 US Navy issue.  I always thought it interesting  that the Navy had green pith helmets but the Army had tan ones.  The other helmet is a copy of a late 19th century British helmet. It is part of my homage to my favorite fictional characters, Sherlock Holmes and Dr Watson, since Watson could have worn one when he was in the Army before he met Holmes. 

Mikie

pith helmets.jpg

brit pith.jpg