New from the Buckeye State, and a question

Greetings!

I guess I've been a collector of mainly WWII-era items ever since I found a clip for a K98 Mauser still loaded with four rifle rounds stamped with the Nazi Eagle and 1943 at a flea market as a kid. I got more into it when I married my wife - her grandfather was in the 7th Armored Division and once he learned of my interest, he started telling me a lot. I have a few of his items - his bayonet, compass, and duffel bag. I also have the flag from his casket.

I've picked up other items along the way, but the stuff I treasure most has some connection to someone I know.

A rather distant cousin of mine has started sharing some of his items with me, as he has no descendants and wants to make sure they are cared for and appreciated after he passes. He was an MP in the Vietnam era, as was his brother. He gave me his brother's Purple Heart, the wrappings it was mailed home in, and a framed certificate that he was given.

More recently he gave me a belt buckle that I'd like to learn more about. He (we) have a common ancestor that fought in the Civil War, and while I know this resembles a buckle used then, there are also tons of later models, reproductions, etc. I'd like to know more about this if anyone can help.

I've noticed it has 12 stars - most I've found pictures of have ten, but this has two above each side of the silver crest. I think it's bronze. It has no proof marks that I can see. I have no idea if the red canvas is original to it or not. The catch on the back seems longer than many I've seen pictures of.

Thoughts?

(If you reply, please forgive me for not responding sooner, but this system says this will be my last allowed post until tomorrow since I'm new. I already posted in the new members forum a couple of times).

post-220517-0-97517800-1551711637.jpg

post-220517-0-45128600-1551711646.jpg

Welcome aboard! It looks like your question was already moved to the right area for some answers.

Thanks! I'm not sure how to tell where it was moved to - could you point me?

It now appears in this section: U.S. Militaria Forum → US MILITARIA DISCUSSIONS → 18TH CENTURY-WWI US MILITARIA → AMERICAN CIVIL WAR

Here is a snip view of your topic showing where it is placed. this is the easy way to see where a topic is. :)

post-151812-0-61123900-1551879270_thumb.jpg

Steve Rogers

You have an 1851 pattern sword belt plate. These were worn by enlisted men who carried swords: cavalrymen, artillerymen, non-commissioned officers. The 3-piece wreath indicates it is an early war product. They went to a slightly taller plate with a one-piece wreath midwar. Officers wore the same pattern, but usually with finer die work and an integral wreath that was often silvered. The enlisted version is German (ie nickel) silver. They are often take as officers plates because the wreath maintains its color where the silver wash has usually worn off the officer's plates.

You have an 1851 pattern sword belt plate. These were worn by enlisted men who carried swords: cavalrymen, artillerymen, non-commissioned officers. The 3-piece wreath indicates it is an early war product. They went to a slightly taller plate with a one-piece wreath midwar. Officers wore the same pattern, but usually with finer die work and an integral wreath that was often silvered. The enlisted version is German (ie nickel) silver. They are often take as officers plates because the wreath maintains its color where the silver wash has usually worn off the officer's plates.

Thank you for that detailed info! I'm thankful to learn more about this, and am having fun imagining where all it has been and what all it has seen.

Good info! What type of material is that belt?

It is cloth of some kind. I'm no expert but even I knew the belt worn with the buckle during the war would have been leather. Some have suggested that this red cloth would have been worn as more of a ceremonial belt on a veterans' or GAR uniform later on after the war. I haven't had time to look into that yet.

• 4 weeks later...

Very nice belt plate! I see 13 stars. There are two stars at the top, one to the left and right in the rays, seven stars above the banner and two stars to the left and two stars to the right side of the neck.

Kim