WWII envelope with 11Sep44 GO 103rdGH Purple HEart Award list, Captured German Defense Order, newspaper clippings

stratasfan

Went to a stamp show yesterday to visit a friend that I write to all the time. We (family) used to do a lot of stamp shows and collected tons, but haven't really since our car wreck in 2010, however, I write to a stamp dealer friend all the time, and this was only a couple of hours from our house, so we went to say hi! Well, On the way out, found this envelope from a soldier, and peaked inside and saw some newspaper clippings, so I just bought it and figured I'd look later. Boy! Super cool!

It had three newspaper clippings and two papers. One is the General Order from 11 Sept 1944 listing all the Purple Hearts given to soldiers at the 103rd General Hospital, US Army in France. (The guy who sent the envelope is listed on it.)

Also, there was another paper, and I couldn't quite figure it out until I really read it. From Aug 1944, and it was sent to Infantry commanders because it was a captured 77th German Infantry defense order, describing defense movements for each type of attack the Americans might make on their (German) positions. Super fun!

So, I thought I would share these, as it is super cool. :)

Elizabeth

post-151812-0-05943700-1551629016_thumb.jpg

Captured German defense order - Front note from US officer to Infantry commanders:

post-151812-0-65588700-1551629375_thumb.jpg

Back - German defense - you can read this much better than this shows, but I can't post a good enough image on the forum -

post-151812-0-12950700-1551629449_thumb.jpg

Hi Elizabeth, cool find. That newspaper clipping to the right appears to be from the Stars and Stripes from september 25th, 1944. (Picture courtesy of 1944supply.com)

post-169612-0-89939900-1551636209_thumb.jpg

Rene

• 3 weeks later...

Oh, Rene . . . you are so right! How cool is that! Thanks for finding that! So, then, I wonder if the soldier himself sent those clippings back?