Foreign Ribbon ID's on US Uniform

CNY Militaria

CNY Militaria

I am researching Gen. Samuel E. Anderson's awards and have most of them identified from the best closeup photo I could find, however being black and white it's not the best for nailing these down. Here are the ones I am not confident in or just unsure about, as I'm fairly confident in my ID's of the others that do not have an arrow to it. Looking for additional thoughts. I've drawn arrows to the five in question and numbered them.

1. Polonia Restituta from Poland?

2. Air Force Longevity without any OLC's?

3. French Legion of Honor or Belgium Order of Leopold without rosette?

4. Unknown but it has a crown.

5. Unknown but it has a rosette and palm.

Here is a link to an image of his ribbons, however there isn't an accompanying list, and have yet to find a complete one.

http://www.veterantributes.org/TributeDetail.php?recordID=787

Anderson.png

1.could be poland as you mention. grand cross, or grand officer

Other option is Morocco-

5. Belgium order of the Crown-grand cross or grand officer with palm.

3. UK order of the Bath

4starchris

CNY Militaria

Thanks Chris, very helpful! I think #2 is the AF Longevity Ribbon. That leaves just #4 if anyone has any idea.

Number 4: Because of the Crown i lean towards an Italian award. But even with a ribbon guide I can't figure out which one. So no match, sorry.

Herman

Number 4: Because of the Crown i lean towards an Italian award. But even with a ribbon guide I can't figure out which one. So no match, sorry.

Herman

I was going to suggest Netherlands based on the crown, then I remembered you live there and would have thought of it first...I am not leaning toward Italian but Belgian based on the location on the ribbon set. In proximity to Belgian Orders; looks like the ribbons are grouped based on country and I spy what looks like Belgian CdG and French CdG. I just feel like that stylized type crown is more French or Belgian in design. I'd even toss Luxembourg out as a possibility.

Hahaha Sal, that would be something, not recognizing a Dutch ribbon. But indeed in the Netherlands we use a crown on 2 ribbons. Unfortunately both do not match this ribbon.

Ribbon no 4 is positioned between a French WW2 Croix de Guerre and a Luxemburg WW2 Croix de Guerre. I checked Luxemburg, no state order has this ribbon and they don't use a crown at all.

Now dskjl mentions Greece and that could be a good possibility. The Greece Order of the Phoenix could be a match, only the borders of the ribbon are black and the center is yellowish. I don't know If they use a crown device. I saw a rosette on an Officer grade, so I can't confirm this.

If somebody has a colored picture of the general showing his ribbons that would really help a lot.

The search continues.

Regards

Herman

I knew that the crown looked familiar to me so I found some similar crowns in Orders and Decorations by Vaclav Mericka. They are Soverign Military Order of Malta early badges with similar stylized crowns. Just a possibility to consider.

post-114-0-20024300-1551627795_thumb.jpeg

post-114-0-64776400-1551627828_thumb.jpeg

CNY Militaria

Thanks for the leads! I am still looking as no definitive match so far. I am trying to find a complete list of his foreign awards as well.

CNY Militaria

Depending on the shading of the outer red, and greens, this might be the Belgian Military Cross.

Croix_militaire_de_1ere_classe_Belgique.jpg

Depending on the shading of the outer red, and greens, this might be the Belgian Military Cross.

No crown is used on the ribbon.

CNY Militaria

Funny you should mention that! I stumbled across that yesterday and when comparing it to other uniforms its the closest and nose sensible Ive found. I am waiting on a color photo of Anderson to confirm. Thank you!

Justin

• 2 weeks later...

Looking at another USAF uniform here at the USAF Museum, I truly think it is the Order of Merit of the Italian Republic.

I think we have a winner.!

This ribbon is green with a red stripe at the edges. It is also in gen Maxwell Taylor ribbon group. I recently posted a picture of his ribbons in a different topic.

Solved. The place of the ribbon in Andersons group is also makes sense now.

Regards

Herman

Here is that rack I was talking about from the NMUSAF. The three crown ribbon is the Order of Merit of the Italian Republic. Now the crowns are different, but I think it is the same ribbon. These are custom ribbons so variations are going to happen. The relative position is the same as well.

-Ski

post-3043-0-62732700-1553347623.jpg