WWI - 1919 Robbins Naval Aviator Wings and ID Book Franklin F. Roberts

KASTAUFFER

This is a 2019 SOS purchase of mine

It also came with a large photo album of Pensacola NAS from 1919 with lots of HS-1 shots.

The Wings are early Robbins Naval Aviator wings with the "European" style hallmarks on one side and "sterling" on the other with a Tiffany style catch.

If you compare these wings with the ones on the photo in his Naval Aviator ID book, they appear to be the same ones.

Absolutely beautiful wings!!

Chris

Thanks Chris! Do you think they are the same pair as in the photo?

Kurt

That is really very nice. I would say they are the same!!! Nothing makes me think they wouldn't be the same one as in his photo.

That Robbin's wing is very nice and rare one to find. You can tell its early because of the fine lines in the shield.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/276703-a-study-of-early-robbins-usn-wings/?hl=%2Brobbins+%2Bwings

That is really very nice. I would say they are the same!!! Nothing makes me think they wouldn't be the same one as in his photo.

That Robbin's wing is very nice and rare one to find. You can tell its early because of the fine lines in the shield.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/276703-a-study-of-early-robbins-usn-wings/?hl=%2Brobbins+%2Bwings

That 10K wing of yours is a beauty!

Kurt

Kurt,

Top shelf!

I have the same badge but mine is not part of such a tight group! Also want to add to the consensus; that is clearly a Robbins badge in the photograph. Unless he had more than one, your's must be it!

Wonderful to see--thanks for sharing!

Chis

Superb group Kurt.

Looks like the wing surely could be his, as the wing pictured appears to be a Robbins pattern.

The Tiffany style catch places it right for the era, as is the hallmark, which was standard for Robbins on their first Aviator wings till sometime in the 1930’s.

The ID is awesome, along with the tag.

I’m envious of the acquisition!

John

Thanks Chris! Do you think they are the same pair as in the photo?

Kurt

I certainly do think they are one in the same!!

Chris

Really wonderful grouping. Congrats!

Don't know if you have seen this, but there a FREE pdf file you can download called:

UNITED STATES NAVY WINGS OF GOLD UNITED STATES NAVY WINGS OF GOLD FROM 1917 TO THE PRESENT

It a very well researched history and includes closeup pictures of the various wings, their timeframes, and makers, as well as a great reference for any Naval Aviator research. Franklin's name is also in this book/pdf file.

Here's the link => https://epdf.tips/us-navy-wings-of-gold-from-1917-to-the-present.html

Note: I just saw that this book has been mentioned before, however, I don't believe it's been available as a free download before.

Thanks AZNATION , I have the print copy of this reference. I use it all the time!

Thanks everyone for the comments on this wing. I bought the grouping mainly to get the ID book, but it appears I should have been more focused on the wing itself.

Kurt