9 replies to this topic

#1 Sherman Guy

Sherman Guy
  • New Members
    • Member ID: 218,849
  • 3 posts

Posted 26 February 2019 - 11:06 PM

Greetings all members.
I work for a Las Vegas based company Battlefield Vegas.
The team here is in the final phase of a genuine Iwo Jima Veteran USMC Sherman tank. Research indicates this will be the first of its kind to be restored.
The tank will be finnished in its Iwo Jima battle condition from the 5th Tank Battalion.
We have hit a critial point in the restoration where we are searching for accurate detail before the tank is to be finnished painted.
I would like to reach out to anyone interested who may have some knowledge of our tank specifically. This discussion is predominantly a historical focus. Once the tank is completed i will post a topic on its restoration.
Here is what we know so far.
The tank is a Fisher M4A3 75mm Wet Stowage Wide Hatch.
SN 49606.
We have been lucky to find 1 photo of our tank as it was during the war which i will upload.
This photo was taken by USMC photographer Richard M. Stotz on Iwo Jima.
The tank had add on duck bill end connectors when we received it. It has the anti mine spikes featured on 5th Battalion tanks. 4th battalion predominantly used cages.
The tank had brackets cut off where the add on wooden armour was added.
The tank also has an add on plate as a one off field repair on the right cheek.

What we dont know:
The number 12 inside a Square on the front. I am assuming this is a vehicle, platoon designation with the Square being 5th Tank Battalion. Note carefully there is also a 2 and a square visible on the left side as well.
We are looking for confirmation as to what these symbols mean.
Looking at the photo it is my theory the right side of the tank was burnt, understanding what callsigns were on the side is another challenge.

Ideally we would love to learn the name of the tank, this would be our most desirable outcome through research.

We have had some say this tank was a flame tank. Due to the wet Stowage set up and barrel in the photo. The white patches and line down the middle of the barrel is apparently an indication of this, an old shot out barrel refitted with a navy Mk1 flamethrower. I am unable to find any information on these flamethrowers to confirm this.
I have also been told Marines used their own registration numbers seperate from the tanks stamped serial number. I am sure there must be records out there that reflect this.
We have been in touch with many people in the community who have been very helpful in assisting us, along with the Marine Corps Museum and Marine Corps Mechanized museum.
I also have many books including David E. Harpers Tank Warfare on Iwo Jima, which i highly recommend to anyone interested in this area.

I will leave it at that for now, any help is greatly appreciated. The tank is due to be completed this year, fully functional along with live firing 75mm main gun .
The tank will be avaliable to drive and shoot to all customers.
For more information along with updates on the restoration please follow Battlefield Vegas on social media.
Please drop in if you are in Las Vegas.

Kind Regards
Sherman Guy.

Attached Images

• 20190226_223127.jpg

#2 ViewfinderGyrene

ViewfinderGyrene
  • Members
    • Member ID: 153,444
  • 1,745 posts

Posted 26 February 2019 - 11:27 PM

Incredible, look forward to following the process!

#3 MCDUFF

MCDUFF
  • Members
    • Member ID: 20,528
  • 476 posts

Posted 27 February 2019 - 12:46 PM

Wow! What an amazing project! I wish I could add something. I know there are some very knowledgeable Marine enthusiasts out there, and on this forum, so I do hope you succeed in your research. I eagerly await your progress.

#4 Bellumbill

Bellumbill
  • Members
    • Member ID: 661
  • 799 posts

Posted 27 February 2019 - 05:27 PM

I am doing some research now - preliminary findings are that the tactical number is not representation of the 5th Div. but the company within the 5th Tank Battalion - I have seen other 5th Tank Battalion tanks marked with a rhombus with a numeral in the center.  I will let you know more as I find anything.

Best,

Bill 

#5 Navybean

Navybean
  • Members
    • Member ID: 45,737
  • 2,365 posts

Posted 27 February 2019 - 06:26 PM

Pretty cool Story, it would be great to know how your group came into possession of the tank? I mean was it a battlefield pickup? Or sourced from the govt ?
Also would love to see some progress pictures.
Anyway sounds like a great project

Edited by Navybean, 27 February 2019 - 06:27 PM.

#6 Sherman Guy

Sherman Guy
  • New Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 27 February 2019 - 06:58 PM

Thankyou for all the interest everyone. As for our tactical number, it is similar to more popular 5th Tank Bn Shermans 'Davy Jones'and 'Tokyo Express'. They both have digits inside a square box.
The tank was purchased some time ago well before i came onto the project, from someone who had it in one of the Eastern US states.

If anyone is in Vegas, mention your relationship with us on the forum and we can can arrange a tour of the tank.

#7 No Quarter

No Quarter
  • Members
    • Member ID: 162,535
  • 1,075 posts

Posted 28 February 2019 - 05:31 PM

Incredible.  You said customers can drive and shoot it?  Umm, how much?  Lol I'll be buying a plane ticket to Vegas very soon!

Jacob

#8 Sherman Guy

Sherman Guy
  • New Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 February 2019 - 08:21 PM

Jacob, yes the tank will be available to drive and shoot for customers on request. A price has not been made yet, the tank is still several months out from completion.
Check our website for prices on our M60 main battle tank, it may be similar to that.

#9 MattS

MattS
  • Members
    • Member ID: 32,676
  • 5,556 posts

Posted 03 March 2019 - 02:26 PM

I worked on a few Shermans back when I volunteered at the 2nd Armored Museum at Fort Hood, but have no experience with Marine tanks. Wish I could help!

#10 ViewfinderGyrene

ViewfinderGyrene
  • Members
    • Member ID: 153,444
  • 1,745 posts

Posted 15 March 2019 - 09:09 AM

Thankyou for all the interest everyone. As for our tactical number, it is similar to more popular 5th Tank Bn Shermans 'Davy Jones'and 'Tokyo Express'. They both have digits inside a square box.
The tank was purchased some time ago well before i came onto the project, from someone who had it in one of the Eastern US states.

If anyone is in Vegas, mention your relationship with us on the forum and we can can arrange a tour of the tank.

Sent you a PM with research I have done. Look forward to hearing from you.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users