5 replies to this topic

#1 1CDarty

1CDarty
  • Recruits
    • Member ID: 219,012
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 February 2019 - 12:11 PM

Hello Militaria: 

My dad was career Army, as was I.  Dad was a Coast Artilleryman on Guadalcanal; Vietnam was my war.  I served in the 2/19th FA in the 1st Cavalry Division (Airmobile), 1970-71. My highlight was the time I worked with the outstanding troopers of 2/7th Inf (Garryowen).  

In the early 1950's my dad was stationed at the Presidio of SF, and I bought a shoebox of Army patches at the thrift shop...adding to a small collection of patches I had from cereal boxes (patches were cereal prizes at that time).  50 years later I got out that shoebox and started organizing a collection.  I joined ASMIC, and look forward to each issue of the "Trading Post."  I especially like Army shoulder patches that were WORN by soldiers - the more thread hanging off the patch, the better.

In that shoebox were 3 patches worn, I believe, by a soldier assigned to the 1st Provisional Tank Group in the CBI theater.  Researching the 1PTG is how I stumbled onto this Militaria Forum.

I look forward to learning more on this forum.

1CDarty 

#2 copper252

copper252
  • Members
    • Member ID: 163,795
  • 350 posts

Posted 26 February 2019 - 12:13 PM

Welcome! What unit was your dad with on Guadalcanal?

#3 1CDarty

1CDarty
  • Recruits
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 February 2019 - 12:21 PM

Thank you for asking.

My dad was with F Battery, 3rd Battalion, 244th Coast Artillery Regiment.  In February of 1943, after Guadalcanal was under US control, his unit was re-designated 259th Coast Artillery Battalion (Separate), and assigned to the Americal Division for the remainder of the war on the Pacific.

#4 abqpropguy

abqpropguy
  • Members
    • Member ID: 151,336
  • 302 posts

Posted 26 February 2019 - 12:25 PM

Welcome!!!!

#5 copper252

copper252
  • Members
    • Member ID: 163,795
  • 350 posts

Posted 01 March 2019 - 06:08 PM

Thank you for asking.

My dad was with F Battery, 3rd Battalion, 244th Coast Artillery Regiment.  In February of 1943, after Guadalcanal was under US control, his unit was re-designated 259th Coast Artillery Battalion (Separate), and assigned to the Americal Division for the remainder of the war on the Pacific.

I have always thought the Coast Arty was forgotten, especially in the Pacific.

#6 1CDarty

1CDarty
  • Recruits
  • 2 posts

Posted 01 March 2019 - 06:27 PM

As I studied the units involvement in the fighting on Guadalcanal, I learned that the 244th coast artillery (while also engaging targets off the coast) played a large role in taking out Japanese ground based artillery units that had inflicted a lot of damage on US Marines. The 244th was awarded a Navy Presidential Unit Citation (signed by Frank Knox, Sec of Navy). If you ae interested I have a copy of the unit history recorded by the 244th during their time leading up to and on Guadalcanal.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users