Korean War era 187th jacket patch

mortaydc60

Just noticed this posted on ebay in the Korean War period and was wondering what others thought. Pics maybe small but hope you get idea. Hope someone with better skills can download larger pics. thanks for help.

post-565-0-78611400-1551125401.jpg

post-565-0-22517800-1551125412.jpg

Here is ebay # 382798654919. These can be tough to tell, and from what I have seen in the past the definite real versions the blue background is much lighter;but as they say there are exceptions.

BILL THE PATCH

It's looks good, but if it glows does mean it's a repro? Did originals glow is what I'm basically asking

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

In my opinion it does not look like any period ones I have ever owned.I really do not like the back of it the embroidery does not look like period 1950s examples.Scotty

I thought I would post some other examples of this patch for comparison purposes.

The first one is the patch in question - FRONT

post-1389-0-04709500-1551195290_thumb.jpg

FOURTH (I think this is the real McCoy but could the others have been made afterwards for wear on the right arm?)

post-1389-0-25468200-1551195659.jpg

post-1389-0-04979000-1551195672.jpg

Several people must have thought the patch on eBay that started this thread was real because it closed at $133.50! Doesn't prove anything, of course, but it looks like there were half a dozen different bidders.

Most likely reason is that they are very rare and not often available so market does not know what to look for and if something that maybe close will attract bidders. A real one would command alot more than that reached on ebay by 4 to 500%.

So an original should be in the $500-600 range?

Does anyone have period pictures of these patches being worn? I searched for images of the 187th in Korea but they were all wearing the authorized 187th RCT patch.

Even more,when have you seen one available? Last I sold was over 700 at SOS. Believe the Korean War era is very under appreciated and a good area to find some great items at fair prices.

Id bank on the 4th being original the others look like older Asian Made copies, probably done by or for collectors or vets

When you are talking "older Asian made" copies what time frame are you looking at and what style of Asian made?

Phill

Phill,

Im guessing 70s/80s period maybe later, hard to say the exact country but maybe japan. But still even for that period lacks their quality

• 1 year later...

There is one on Ebay now that looks alot like the one that started the post. Description says original KW  and than adds to 60's era. I contacted seller and asked if it glows and he said it GLOWS. For me if it glows I do not want to buy.