Different Naval Aviation Observer Wings

johnfwertz

My grandfather was a Marine and these wings were his. Can anyone explain the difference between the three Naval Aviation Observer badges?

post-155176-0-90931700-1551101534_thumb.jpg

post-155176-0-17228200-1551101544_thumb.jpg

post-155176-0-26676800-1551101553_thumb.jpg

post-155176-0-61467900-1551101808_thumb.jpg

Hi,

that's a great group you have from your grandfather, I'm sure we would all like to see the rest of what you have. It would be good to see the backs of the three observer wings, from the front the only real difference might be the maker. I'm guessing he served from around the mid-1950s?

cheers, John

I'm curious why the one set of wings is all gold. I don't have any photos of him wearing those. Here are photos with him wearing the other two.

The first he is a Master Sergeant. I believe the photo would be from around 1958.

post-155176-0-48971500-1551103577_thumb.jpg

The second he is a Warrant Officer and he was made a Warrant Officer in 1961.

post-155176-0-62964900-1551103585_thumb.jpg

I can take and post pictures of the backs later.

I have not seen an observer wing with a gold circle and anchor before, as a silver circle and anchor are in the regulations it

this wing may have just been overlooked while being made.

I have not seen an observer wing with a gold circle and anchor before, as a silver circle and anchor are in the regulations it

this wing may have just been overlooked while being made.

Perhaps the silver wore away?

Perhaps the silver wore away?

That could be it, the silver on some is not very thick and your dad might have been a spit and polish marine ;)

• 4 weeks later...

post-13165-0-02904000-1553742972_thumb.jpg

Greetings! I have a similar situation. My father, a deceased-retired naval officer, began his career as a naval aviation observer (NAO), until redesignation as a naval flight officer (NFO). He wore "three different styles of the NAO wing. I remember asking many, many, years ago why the different styles. I honestly forget his answer.

However, I believe the top wing was the "regulation-style" and worn on service dress blues and whites. The middle (oxidized, maybe) one I remember him wearing on aviation green uniform jacket. The last one I have photos of him wearing on working khaki shirt and summer undress white shirt.

Any other opinions are welcomed.

• 2 years later...

Hi,

they don´t really make different wings for blues or greens the variation is usually put down to who the makers were, what are the maker´s markings on the rear of each wing?

cheers, John