• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Looper5920

Looper5920
  • Members
    • Member ID: 158,251
  • 64 posts

Posted 25 February 2019 - 03:49 AM

I am curious if anyone has a real life example of the first patch shown below.  The first picture depicts a Marine from Air Warning Squadron 1 (AWS-1) in what is believed to be February 1946.  You'll notice he is wearing a 4th MAW shoulder patch however the patch is not full red but rather two tone.  I believe the color scheme to be similar to that of the second photo which shows a handmade MGCIS-1 patch from a few years later.  The two-toned patch was supposed to signify that the radar squadron could conduct both day & night operations.  The color scheme is still employed by MACS-1 and VMA-513 to this day. 

Does anyone on the forum happen to have an example of this patch?  Thanks in advance. 

Cheers,

Mark

Attached Images

• resized_resized_IMG_2622.JPG
  • resized_MGCIS-1 (1950s - Handmade).JPG

#2 Allan H.

Allan H.
  • Members
    • Member ID: 151
  • 5,708 posts

Posted 25 February 2019 - 04:03 AM

I don't think you're looking for a two color shoulder patch. I think that this Gunny has ironed a crease into the "battle blaze" AND into his chevrons. I think that you aare simply seeing light bounce off of the patch at the crease.  Now, why would someone crease the sleeves on their Alpha?

Allan

#3 268th C.A.

268th C.A.
  • Members
    • Member ID: 87,654
  • 2,924 posts

Posted 25 February 2019 - 04:13 AM

I will agree with Allan on this, looks like camera photo flash and lighting...

#4 Looper5920

Looper5920
  • Members
    • Member ID: 158,251
  • 64 posts

Posted 25 February 2019 - 10:56 AM

Fair enough, I did not consider that having never seen it before. Appreciate the course correction.

Thanks,
MM

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users