Some Prices on Ebay That May Amuse

thorin6

I track certain things on ebay just to see the final prices, and here are two that are certainly interesting.

The bottom price for the Wilde Tool M1905 bayonet and scabbard is probably biased low because the bayonet does not have the correct, two-toned grips, which can go for $300 or so by themselves.

On the other hand, the price for Gary Cunningham's book on US Bayonets should gladden the heart of everyone that bought one when they were $35 apiece 2 years ago. Then again, there may have been a bidding war here, hard to tell.

post-11546-0-28721000-1551068597_thumb.jpg

Nice thread Bill. Saw a WT, M1905 yesterday on ebay for a Buy Now price of $2000.00. Just saw another one of Gary's books going for $495 on ebay. SKIP

I'll jump in here.

I sold Gary's book and am still a bit shocked at what it sold for. Basically, a bidding war between 3 bidders, 2 of them are bidding again on another copy someone else is selling and its north of $300 already.

ebay can be a strange place sometimes...

I bought a copy of Cunninghams book on Amazon for $25 in 2016. Look at what its going for now. Wish I would have bought several copies...

You get into bidding wars at auctions as items can be bought elsewhere. Auctions are good but just be wary that you may pay more then it is worth.

On Amazon they are asking ridiculous prices over $800 for Gary's book. I'm going to add that I have mine signed by Gary and will never let it go. I will, however, protect it a little better now that it's worth a bit more than the original price.

Second book at auction sold a few days later for $404, (free shipping). A third one sold the other day for $290, ( a real bargain). Like thorin Gary offered me the opportunity to buy a copy that he personally signed for me. I've been using his CD for my referencing and have kept my copy wrapped and in a box. Now I wish I had invested in 10 copies or so just so I could sell them at 2X the original price and be a hero to some folks at the same time.

What this points out to collectors is to buy the book when it first comes out. Once it's out of print, the price starts to go up. It then reaches a plateau and eventually drops back to a steady value that is generally 3-5 times the original price. I have a couple books by Clawson on the M1911/A1 (not the big book) that I bought (one is signed) for less that $50 shipped each. The last time (in the past couple of months actually) I saw one for sale it was north of $250. I suspect that Gary's book will drop in price eventually, but where it will end up is anyone's guess.