WWII M1 with name on front

Eric H

Hello the camp!

New guy to the forum and also new to the collecting world of M1 helmets.

I thought I would dive in with sharing a couple pictures of a crispy lid I picked up a couple months back. I have no back story on this helmet but noticed the name and thought it would find a good home in my weapons room... of course now Ive been bitten by the helmet bug so I have been on the hunt ever since.

Thanks!

Eric

post-215116-0-21183900-1550530252.jpeg

post-215116-0-16272200-1550530309.jpeg

post-215116-0-57404900-1550530346.jpeg

As you can see there is another name on the brim, maybe the first original wearer? I have strained my eyes for hours trying to make it out with no luck.

Eric

Nice early fixed bail helmet with the early brass raised bar buckle and flat J-Hooks and OD#3 chinstraps.

Looks good to me.

Can you determine a heat stamp on the inside of the shell?

Blueprint

Though its hard to make out... it appears the heat stamp is 194A.

Well that proves that you have there a very early McCord Shell - made around June/July 1942.

Congratulations!

Blueprint

Thanks everyone!

Being a new guy to collecting them i was hesitant on getting it just because of the overall crispyness it had but something inside me said don't walk away without it. I went back to the same place the following weekend and purchased the other 5 helmets they had i got the sickness... Instant mini collection just like that!

Eric

Cap Camouflage Pattern I

Thanks everyone!

Being a new guy to collecting them i was hesitant on getting it just because of the overall crispyness it had but something inside me said don't walk away without it. I went back to the same place the following weekend and purchased the other 5 helmets they had i got the sickness... Instant mini collection just like that!

Eric

Amazing start! I know that feeling, that's kinda how I started collecting Iraqi items.