Dug relic wwii parachute handle? Is it?

mmerc20

I'm pretty sure it is, but wanted to confirm this is a WWII parachute handle. It was found in an area where ONLY WWII items could be found so it can't be later than 1945.

Am I correct in my assumption as to what it is? Could it be anything else?

Mike

post-3373-0-01050400-1550526818_thumb.jpeg

Not something I expected to find today but definitely a great surprise. I also found 4,13 star HBT uniform buttons, a dog tag, a penny, and a spoon.

This type of handle was also used on the quick attachable chest (QAC) type parachute, as used by aircrewmen in both the USAAF and US Navy and the Navy-exclusive quick attachable seat (QAS) parachutes with a longer rip cord. They will be found in either natural metal finish, or painted red, or yellow.

post-9787-0-51196300-1550533609.jpg

post-9787-0-77676700-1550533877_thumb.jpg

Thanks!

Did aerial observers have chutes? That would be one of the possibilities how it got here since the L4 Grasshopper was flown here for artillery training.

Mike

WWII Parachutist

As stated, indeed a parachute ripcord handle.

This specific shape is known as the cloverleaf ripcord handle, and was used on a wide variety of parachutes and well into the postwar era. However, this specific one has a cable stop opposite the swagged ball on the cable, which means it is strictly a chest ripcord and not postwar. To me a midwar production with the red paint finish, but hard to say in that condition and just off the one picture.

This exact ripcord handle you have could be used on the T-5/7 chest reserves for paratroopers, as well as the AN6513, A-3, and A-4 packs for USAAF personnel.