Show your Korean War Helmets!

trenchfoot

I am not sure if this has been done already, but I'd like to see your original Korean War helmets. I haven't seen many being posted lately, and I for one think they are really interesting and under appreciated. I will start out with a few of mine:

post-163344-0-83284200-1549989787_thumb.jpgpost-163344-0-79808000-1549989794_thumb.jpg

post-163344-0-04658600-1549989804_thumb.jpg

post-163344-0-96083200-1549989812_thumb.jpg

RememberThe5thESB

Wish I was back home so I could post! My first fixed bail I ever got was almost certainly a 50s repaint with the glossy paint, outfitted with green hardware with the metal brackets. I wouldn't doubt it if that shell saw action in Korea or maybe even Vietnam.

Sent from my SM-J327V using Tapatalk

From my recent post, here's a likely 1950s repaint front seam M1 I just picked up. Not sure if the paint/markings are exactly 100% Korea period, since the chinstraps are Vietnam type, but who knows

s-l1600.jpgs-l1600.jpg

Also have a nice run of the mill rear seam Schlueter with Korea repaint, OD7 chinstraps, and OD7 liner, but it's back home and don't have photos handy. I'll dig through my post history later and see if I can find anything from when I first bought it years ago.

Burning Hazard

From my previous post as well. Estate helmet ID'd to Romy B Moul (ASN 37825155) who fought in the Korean War (still waiting for full history by Golden Arrow).

Helmet looks like it's been through hell.

Pat

post-8715-0-43584900-1549996232_thumb.jpg

From my previous post as well. Estate helmet ID'd to Romy B Moul (ASN 37825155) who fought in the Korean War (still waiting for full history by Golden Arrow).

Helmet looks like it's been through hell.

Pat

Blimey Guv

Thats one sweet lid

- Dean

Salvage Sailor

It was found in a backyard shed on Oahu. Has a nice 1951 CAPAC liner too and an over painted white medical tape officers stripe

07 17 09 015.JPG

07 17 09 007.JPG

07 17 09 014.JPG

Burning Hazard

Blimey Guv

Thats one sweet lid

- Dean

Thanks Dean,

It's got that matching look to period photos taken in the early stages of the Korean War ~1950; essentially a re-used WWII helmet.

Pat

post-8715-0-79399200-1549997372_thumb.jpg

Captainofthe7th

I'm happy to now have two lids to share. The first is attributed to Captain Jack H. Place who was wounded on the last day of the war with G Company, 179th Infantry. How his helmet came home is a mystery, but it came from the family. A very cool helmet that is full of dirt and grease and a good story.

post-3190-0-68924900-1550003673_thumb.jpg

post-3190-0-16149900-1550003679_thumb.jpg

Captainofthe7th

The second took years of begging and patience, but Scott has finally parted with this gem and I am extremely happy to have it. This helmet has strong attribution to Lieutenant Colonel Jack Kron and hundreds of photos to accompany it. The liner is named to him and decorated with his former 13th FA Bn insignia. When he took over command of the 52d FA in 1951 he took over the shell from Marshall Armor and continued to wear his lid. The shell is faintly marked to Armor, either worn or rubbed off. A grail piece, as I've been calling it.

post-3190-0-88915200-1550004013_thumb.jpg

post-3190-0-39933000-1550004018_thumb.jpg

Captainofthe7th

I wrote a short article that includes both of these along with some of Kron's photos and hope to flesh out their narratives on their individual pages soon.

https://www.rcmcollection.com/combat-worn

Thanks for starting the thread, Russ. I agree these are underappreciated, but certainly as cool (I say cooler) than WWII helmets. All those posted so far are very nice and I look forward to hearing more about Pat's named to Moul. Based on the ASN he looks like a WWII vet.

The snow camo cover is super neat.

Rob

I wrote a short article that includes both of these along with some of Kron's photos and hope to flesh out their narratives on their individual pages soon.

Thanks for starting the thread, Russ. I agree these are underappreciated, but certainly as cool (I say cooler) than WWII helmets. All those posted so far are very nice and I look forward to hearing more about Pat's named to Moul. Based on the ASN he looks like a WWII vet.

The snow camo cover is super neat.

Rob

Those helmets are beautiful. I absolutely love the 2nd one and I can see why it took so long for him to part with it! One quick question: Is the liner in the battle damaged one a ww2 one or a Korean War one?

Thats a cool one! It's got green T1 hardware so its possible it was used in Korea

You may well be right. I did some forum digging and found some photos of that bail attachment in Korea, and they're definitely green (with no anchor visible on the buckle). The paint color seems to check out for Korea, and I'm inclined to believe it's a combat theater marking job since if it was only a stateside training helmet, the officer theoretically would've gone with a much bigger vertical stripe. Vietnam wouldn't have made a ton of sense either, since presumably he'd have a Mitchell and not bother with painting insignia. The straps also don't reach around the back of the helmet, so I wonder if that's another trait of early clamp-on straps. Might be my most favorite $23 helmet ever.

Rob those are two great helmets. It's nice when they have actual history to them.

Clapton I think claiming that helmet might be a "combat" used helmet is a bit of a stretch. That's just MY opinion. We do have a forum member here that can definitely verify that though.

Rob those are two great helmets. It's nice when they have actual history to them.

Clapton I think claiming that helmet might be a "combat" used helmet is a bit of a stretch. That's just MY opinion. We do have a forum member here that can definitely verify that though.

Not claiming by any means, just drawing a conclusion based on some assumptions to say it might be the case. Would leave to hear all the input I can on it.

Burning Hazard

Rob, my vet Romy B Moul enlisted Feb 23 1946, technically that's after WWII but he still got a WWII serial number. Picker I got it from claims that Moul served in occupied Japan and was later wounded at Inchon in 1950; I was unable to find him on any casualty list so I have no solid proof until Golden Arrow finds something.

Pat

I might as well break out my holy grail helmet. This is a USMC helmet worn in Korean from 1952-1953 by 2nd LT Robert Sibley McClellan, who was born in New York. He is the only McClellan who was from NY and held the rank of 2LT during the Korean War, so I am 100% certain this is him. I was even fortunate enough to find a newspaper clipping of him in the field wearing what appears to be this helmet.

post-163344-0-09866100-1550026631_thumb.jpg