• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 MWalsh

MWalsh
  • Members
    • Member ID: 440
  • 5,718 posts

Posted 11 February 2019 - 10:42 AM

Saw this auction on Gunbroker and saw that the gun is marked with an Ordnance symbol.

https://www.gunbroke.../item/799369354

Just curious if anyone knew much about these guns in military use? His description states that the owner carried this gun as an issued item.

I kind of wondered if instead, it was a gun for use in the Morale Welfare Recreation section on some base or range somewhere?

Anyone know? Not going to bid or buy, I just found it to be an interesting item.

H&R.JPG

H&R2.JPG

#2 MWalsh

MWalsh
  • Members
  • 5,718 posts

Posted 11 February 2019 - 10:42 AM

The sellers description of it:

I received this revolver from James Tebbe. HHC 3dBN 3D Inf. SSN 473-30-xxxx. This officer carried this little revolver all thought his time in the military, including Vietnam. This was purchased from his family as Officer Tebbe has passed away. There is a photo of him and an I.D. card for a protective mask with the rare issue revolver. The revolver is parkerized and stamped with the flaming bomb. It originally had a leather shoulder holster for it, but was solid mold and rot. I tossed it away. This is the only one of these survival guns I have ever seen. There is finish wear on the butt and cylinder. Locks up a tight as they usually do. Perfect bore. Rare Vietnam souvenir. Flaming Bomb on front trigger guard, right side and from frame on left. This gun is out of time or it needs a new paul or hand that turns the cylinder. The cylinder pin was lost in Vietnam and one was made, but not the right size. I have included a new cylinder pin along with the original that came with the revolver.

#3 kwill

kwill
  • Members
    • Member ID: 403
  • 375 posts

Posted 11 February 2019 - 02:32 PM

He may very well have carried it but I don't think it was issued and the Ordnance insignia is almost certainly spurious, in my opinion.

#4 MWalsh

MWalsh
  • Members
  • 5,718 posts

Posted 13 February 2019 - 10:50 AM

By his uniform picture, he doesn't have a CIB or jump wings or anything, I wonder if he was perhaps an Ordnance guy, and somewhere along the line refinished his own gun and added the stamp and parked it? Seems like park-ing it would have been an odd thing for a guy to do otherwise. 

Unless like you said, it's just all faked up from the start. Who knows.     

#5 usoverlord

usoverlord
  • Members
    • Member ID: 105,153
  • 287 posts

Posted 14 February 2019 - 01:44 PM

It's a $150/$200 gun. Buy the gun, not the story.

#6 MWalsh

MWalsh
  • Members
  • 5,718 posts

Posted 14 February 2019 - 08:28 PM

Oh I am not buying it and have no desire to.

I just thought it was very unique and wondered about it and how it could have gotten that way.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users