Early Tintype Photo - Indian Wars or SpanAm ?

kfields

I purchased this tin type photo in a junk shop in West Alexandria, Ohio this weekend for $15. Any idea as to when this dates too ? Are you able to tell me anything about the gentlemen's type of service based on their dress? Their are palm tree props in the background so I figure that provides a clue. Also it looks like the guy with the Corporal stripes may have a cigarette in his fingers, not sure. The metal plate stands at 3 5/8 inches tall.

Thank you!
Kim

post-60-0-21194900-1549806218.jpg

post-60-0-60332500-1549806227.jpg

I never saw military issue hats like those.

G

Those are civilian hats which were commonly worn during the later 19th century by troops in the field.Dozens if not hundreds of old period photos show troops wearing non-regulation head gear in the field.

Interesting, though I have not encountered this before. Now I am wondering if they are regular Army or state troops.

G

• 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

As Frankie mentioned, the image is reversed, but all tin-types are. It was just the nature of that photographic process. Each tin-type image is unique also, the only way to have duplicates of that image is to re-photograph it. Nice image for the price. It does look like a cigarette in his hand, cigars were more common at the time and I'm thinking almost the only way to have a cigarette was to roll your own. By the way his fingers are, it does look like one.

BKW