SOW'S EAR=SILK PURSE, EGA EMBELLISHED M1903 SPRINGFIELD

6th.MG.BN

I'm showing this wonderful rifle along with an article the original owner sent to either the "American Rifleman" or "Leatherneck" magazine sometime between 2000 -2006? I hope that someone here might remember seeing the write up titled "Sow's Ear= Silk Purse".

A little history on the owner, a Korean war, USMC Scout sniper, P-e-e-p-sight P-e-n-d-a-s. I was fortunate to have met him in 2007 at a dinner held for the "Chosin Few" by the South Korean Consulate. He and the South Korean Consulate were seated at the table my wife and I were sitting at.

After that dinner I spent many days at his house selling and trading military items. His love was Marine Corps EGA's.

During one of our morning "War room" coffee breaks he showed me this rifle along with the article he told me he sent in to one of those magazines? Hopefully the article can be made out by the photo's I took of it.

I purchased the rifle after his death from his widow. She had typed the article out for him but didn't remember which magazine it was sent to, or when.

The rifle is still in excellent condition as when he got it in 1968 before he went to Viet-Nam.

If anyone remembers seeing please let me know which magazine it was in.

Ken

post-20163-0-67538600-1549754793.jpg

Wow, that is one beautiful piece of work. Can I ask what area you're in in upstate NY. I'm in the Rochester area.

Thanks. Just north of Albany.

Ken

suwanneetrader

Ken : About 12 years ago I contacted "Leatherneck" trying to contact the photographer/Writer of an Iwo Jima article my Dad appeared in a photo in the story. My Dad was in the 37th Replacement Draft Feb 1945, Co I 3rd Bn 21st Marines 3rd Marine Div whose records got messed up and I wanted proof the Marines in that photo went ashore, A lady (who I believe was editor at that time) went out of her way looking in their archives trying to help me, as she said they had many negatives and copies of alot. (her name was Nancy Hoffman she most likely is no longer there but phone was 703-640-6161 ext 314 or email -- [email protected] -- )

If what you want was published in Leatherneck I think they will help you. Good Luck Richard

Ken : About 12 years ago I contacted "Leatherneck" trying to contact the photographer/Writer of an Iwo Jima article my Dad appeared in a photo in the story. My Dad was in the 37th Replacement Draft Feb 1945, Co I 3rd Bn 21st Marines 3rd Marine Div whose records got messed up and I wanted proof the Marines in that photo went ashore, A lady (who I believe was editor at that time) went out of her way looking in their archives trying to help me, as she said they had many negatives and copies of alot. (her name was Nancy Hoffman she most likely is no longer there but phone was 703-640-6161 ext 314 or email -- [email protected] -- )

If what you want was published in Leatherneck I think they will help you. Good Luck Richard

Richard,

Thanks for the information. I will check with them.

Ken