Given m1 shell

JesseJames

While helping a buddy move some things from his closing business, he opened a box with a steel m1. I was immediately interested and asked him about it. He just gave it to me and said he really didn't have a place for it anymore. It was his dads who was a coast guard in the pacific during ww2. I believe he bought the helmet post war. Its cool, but is there anything unique about it?

post-212515-0-31820900-1549748601_thumb.jpg

post-212515-0-14909900-1549748611_thumb.jpg

Nothing unique but a nice late war example with original straps paint and texture. Good patina too

I thought the texture looked cool and original. Heres a better shot of the straps-oqj9lf.jpg

Congratulations, you need a liner and leather chinstrap and you’re all set. The helmet is a good looking helmet and a good foundation for the contagious helmet bug.

Marty

Congratulations, you need a liner and leather chinstrap and you’re all set. The helmet is a good looking helmet and a good foundation for the contagious helmet bug.

Marty

Thanks, and even better that it was a gift from a good friend. Did most helmets during ww2 have leather chin straps or was that only para-trooper helmets?

Nice late WW2 RS SB (Rear Seam, Swivel bail). The Seam of the edge trim moved from the front to the rear during the war, Front Seams are early production. Swivel bail as opposed to Fixed bail meaning your loops where the chin straps connect are movable, early ones were one piece and welded in place.

Well, The term I used ‘leather chinstrap’ it is the strap that holds the liner to the shell.

Marty

Good to know. Ty

Yes, I would agree a gift from a friend does make it even more special, it does make it harder to sell if need be. LOL

Marty

True, I was surprised he wanted to get rid of it but I guess there's a time for everything.

Nice late WW2 RS SB (Rear Seam, Swivel bail). The Seam of the edge trim moved from the front to the rear during the war, Front Seams are early production. Swivel bail as opposed to Fixed bail meaning your loops where the chin straps connect are movable, early ones were one piece and welded in place.

Thank you for the information. They seem to be a hot commodity! The early ones especially.

Texture and colour seem to indicate this is an original late WW2 shell, a lot of WW2-made shells and most post-1945 produced ones were (re)painted in a typical green-brown colour. I can't really judge from these pics if the chinstraps are khaki or faded OD?

Texture and colour seem to indicate this is an original late WW2 shell, a lot of WW2-made shells and most post-1945 produced ones were (re)painted in a typical green-brown colour. I can't really judge from these pics if the chinstraps are khaki or faded OD?

They are khaki

Cool, I was just wondering why this was considered a late world war 2 shell, and not a helmet made at some other given point in time? Thank you.

They are khaki

Were they used interchangeably or did one come before the other? Thanks.

Based on colour, texture and khaki chinstraps I think your helmet is late WW2 production (I guesstimate fall 1944), and still original. Nice gift! :)

Simon Lerenfort

Agree it is a late war swivel bales helmet shell, those were re-used well into the 1950's and early 1960's but the ones seen in Korea were repainted in a darker green than this one. It is a nice untouched late WW2 gift from a friend so invaluable.