Philippines legion of honor-chief commander

4STARCHRIS

Just came in the mail.

I have only seen this medal in a museum.

Eisenhower's and MacArthur's Museum.

I have never seen one for sale.

Now I have one.

4starchris

post-387-0-20243300-1549747461.jpg

Was this part of that massive collection of early Philippines medals dumped on Ebay a week or so ago? That guy literally had every Philippine valor medal!

Yes it was TheMariner..

This is the only one I wanted since it was soooo rare to find.

I think only 3 military individuals were awarded this.

4starchris

This is Ike's. However, it is a completely different design. So have not found this version anywhere and any help appreciated.

4starchris

post-387-0-87757100-1549755806_thumb.jpg

Here is another version of the Star without any information found.

You can clearly see that the two stars are quit different.

4starchris

post-387-0-49707900-1550460483_thumb.jpg

The most notable difference is in the star's centerpiece. The "Sea Lion" is flat and has no highlights. My star centerpiece is quite detailed. The centerpiece is the allegorical Sea Monster holding a sword.

The decoration came in to created in 1947.

IMO the flat version may be a type I star. However, I nothing to document this opinion. The second star, per sey, was a version awarded to General of the Army Douglas MacArthur.

I cannot make out the hall mark on type I star. But it does look the same as mine which is "El ORO" LT JPAZ Jr.

4starchris

The ones presented to MacArthur and the "Type I" both say REPUBLIC OF THE PHILIPPINES, for meritorious service. However, Ike's is a complete different star, badge all together. The Philippine website states both received the same award. Philippines- Legion of Honor chief commander. I have not seen any description in any book of the Ike's badge or the "type I" badge.

4starchris

Briefer on the Philippine Legion of Honor

Basahin sa Filipino

INTRODUCTION

Established by virtue of Army Circular No. 60 on July 3, 1947, the Philippine Legion of Honor is the oldest of the three Senior Honors of the Republic. It is the Order of Defense Merit of the Philippines. Its highest rank, that of Chief Commander, is the highest honor that the President of the Philippines may grant an individual without the concurrence of Congress.

The Philippine Legion of Honor is awarded by the President of the Philippines. It may also be awarded by the Secretary of National Defense on behalf of the President.

Originally, the Philippine Legion of Honor had four ranks, called degrees, with Legionnaire as the lowest and Chief Commander as the highest and most prestigious. However, on September 19, 2003, the ranks of the Philippine Legion of Honor were expanded to six. This only applies to civilian awards, as the Armed Forces retains only four ranks, called degrees, for the Philippine Legion of Honor.

Recipients conferred the Philippine Legion of Honor may be reawarded the same rank or degree. In such cases, following military practice, a bronze Anahaw leaf is conferred each time the award is reconferred, in lieu of an actual medal.

CRITERIA

Recipients of the Philippine Legion of Honor may be Filipino citizens or foreigners. It is awarded for meritorious service in military or defense affairs or for contributions to the preservation of the honor of the Republic of the Philippines. It is conferred upon civilians for military or defense service or for life achievement in public service. In the military it is conferred upon personnel who have performed exceptionally in the conduct of their duties.

67937_493415524036049_715364772_n.jpg

RANKS

Civilian ranks were instituted by virtue of Executive Order No. 236, s. 2003 and Military Degrees were instituted by virtue of AFPR G 131-053, s-86. The following table shows the distinction between civilian ranks and military degrees:

Rank/Degree Conferred on:

Chief Commander Civilian: For life achievement in public service not otherwise qualifying for the Quezon Service Cross; or upon a former or incumbent head of state and/or of government.

Military: Chief of State, Prime Minister, Head of Government

Grand Commander Civilian: For singular acts of service with a tangible impact on the Philippine military sphere; or upon a Crown Prince, Vice President, Senate President, Speaker of the House, Chief Justice or the equivalent, foreign minister or other official of cabinet rank; or upon an Ambassador, Undersecretary, Assistant Secretary, or other person of a rank similar or equivalent to the foregoing.

Grand Officer Civilian: For acts of exemplary merit benefiting the Republic of the Philippines; or upon a Charge d’affaires, e.p., Minister, Minister Counselor, Consul General heading a consular post, Executive Director, or other person of a rank similar or equivalent to the foregoing.

Commander Civilian: For acts of conspicuous merit benefiting the Republic of the Philippines; or upon a Charge d’affaires, a.i., Counselor, First Secretary, Consul General in the consular section of an Embassy, Consular officer with a personal rank higher than Second Secretary, Director, or other person of a rank similar or equivalent to the foregoing.Military: Chief of Staff of the Armed Forces, Vice Chief of Staff of the Armed Forces, Commanders of Major Services, President of the Senate, Chief Justice of the Supreme Court, Heads of Departments

Officer Civilian: For acts of commendable merit benefiting the Republic of the Philippines; or upon a Second Secretary, Consul, Assistant Director, or other person of a rank similar or equivalent to the foregoing.Military: Military Personnel not qualifying for a Distinguished Service Star.

Legionnaire Civilian: For acts of merit benefiting the Republic of the Philippines; or upon a Third Secretary, Vice Consul, Attaché, Principal Assistant, or other person of a rank similar or equivalent to the foregoing.Military: Military Personnel for meritorious conduct but lesser than the degree of Officer of more than the Military Medal of Merit

ROSTER OF AWARDEES: RANK OF CHIEF COMMANDER

Roxas administration

Name Position Date Franklin D. Roosevelt (posthumous) Former U.S. President July 4, 1947

Quirino administration

Name Position Date Generalissimo Chiang-Kai-Shek President of Taiwan 1949 Achmed Soekarno President of Indonesia February 3, 1951 Generalissimo Francisco Franco Head of the Spanish State October 7, 1951

Magsaysay administration

Name Position Date

Maxwell Taylor U.S. Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff 1955

Garcia Administration

Name Position Date

Emilio Aguinaldo Former President July 3, 1957

Jose P. Laurel Former President March 9, 1959

Douglas MacArthur Philippine Field Marshal Jan 10,1961

Dwight D. Eisenhower Former President of the United States April 9, 1961

This is from the Eisenhower museum page of his orders and decorations. This is the only place I can find a mention of "Shield of Honor", though on the philippines government website it mentions legion of honor as previously posted.

4starchris

Awards & Medals
USA

• Distinguished Service Medal - Army (with Oak Leaf Clusters)
  • DSM (October 7, 1922)
  • 1st OLC (September 7, 1943)
  • 2nd OLC (July 13, 1945)
  • 3rd OLC (February 7, 1948)
  • 4th OLC (June 2, 1952)
  • Distinguished Service Medal - Navy (June 25, 1947)
  • Legion of Merit, Legionnaire Class (November 25, 1943)
  • Mexican Border Service Medal (July 9, 1918)
  • Victory Medal, WWI (April 9, 1919)
  • American Defense Service Medal (April 2, 1947)
  • European-African-Middle Eastern Campaign Medal with 9 stars (July 22, 1947)
  • Victory Medal, WWII (April 2, 1947)
  • Army of Occupation Medal-Germany (April 2, 1947)
Argentina

• Order of the Liberator General San Martín, Great Cross (May 12, 1950)
Austria

• Order of Merit, Type II, Grand Cross (October 13, 1965)
Belgium

• Croix de Guerre of 1940 with Palm (July 30, 1945)
  • Order of Leopold, Grand Cordon with Palm (July 30, 1945)
Brazil

• Order of Military Merit, Grand Cross (June 19, 1946)
  • War Medal (July 1, 1946)
  • Order of Aeronautical Merit, Grand Cross (August 5, 1946)
  • National Order of the Southern Cross, Grand Cross (August 5, 1946)
  • Campaign Medal (August 6, 1946)
Chile

• Order of Merit, Grand Cross (March 12, 1947)
China (Nationalist)

• Order of Yun-Fei (Order of Cloud and Banner), Grand Cordon, Special Class (September 18, 1947)
Czechoslovakia

• Order of the White Lion, First Class (October 11, 1945)
  • The Order of the White Lion for Victory, Star, First Class (October 11, 1945)
  • War Cross of 1939 (October 11, 1945)
Denmark

• Order of the Elephant (December 19, 1945)
Ecuador

• The Order of the Star of Abdón Calderón, First Class (March 30, 1949)
Egypt

• The Most High Order of Ismail, Grand Order with Star (May 24, 1947)
England

• The Most Honourable Order of the Bath, Knight Grand Cross (G.C.B.) (June 12, 1943)
  • Order of Merit (June 12, 1945)
  • African Star with Silver Numerals 8 and 1 (November 18, 1943)
Ethiopia

• The Order of Solomon, Knight Grand Cross with Cordon (February 14, 1948)
  • The Most Exalted Order of the Queen of Sheba (May 16, 1954)
France

• Legion of Honor, Grand Croix (June 15, 1943)
  • Croix de Guerre with Palm (June 19, 1943)
  • Order of the Liberation (September 5, 1945)
  • Médaille Militaire (May 21, 1952)
Greece

• Order of George I, Grand Cross with Swords (July 13, 1946)
  • Royal Order of the Savior (March 14, 1952)
Guatemala

• Cross of Military Merit, First Class (April 30, 1947)
Haiti

• National Order of Honor and Merit, Grand Cross with Gold Badge (July 3, 1945)
Italy

• Military Order of Italy, Knight Grand Cross (December 5, 1947)
  • The Order of Merit of Malta, Sovereign Order of Malta, Grand Cross (April 1, 1952)
Japan

• Supreme Order of the Chrysanthemum, Grand Cordon (September 27, 1960)
Jerusalem

• Grand Order of the Holy Sepulchre (September 15, 1953)
Luxembourg

• Order of the Grand-Duchal de la Couronne de Chéne, Grand Croix (August 3, 1945)
  • Médaille Militaire (August 3, 1945)
Mexico

• Order of Military Merit, First Class (August 17, 1946)
  • Order of the Aztec Eagle, First Class (August 15, 1946)
  • Medal of Civic Merit (August 15, 1946)
Morocco

• Order of Ouissam Alaouîte Chérifien, Grand Croix (July 9, 1943)
  • Order of Mohammed (November 25, 1957)
Netherlands

• Order of the Lion of the Netherlands, Knight of the Grand Cross (July 14, 1945)
Norway

• Royal Order of St. Olaf, Grand Cross (November 20, 1945
  • Royal Order of St. Olaf, Grand Commander (April 17, 1946)
Pakistan

• Order of Pakistan, Nishan (December 7, 1957)
Panama
  • Order of Vasco Nuñez de Balboa, Grand Cross (August 13, 1946)
  • Order of Manuél Amador Guerrero, Grand Master (June 8, 1956)
Philippines

Poland

• Order of Polonia Restituta, Chévalier (May 18, 1945)
  • Order of Military Virtue, First Class (September 25, 1944)
  • Cross of Grunwald, First Class (September 7, 1945)
Thailand

• The Most Illustrious Order of the Royal House of Chakri (June 28, 1960)
Tunisia

• Order of Nichan Iftikhar, Grand Cordon (May 29, 1943)
U.S.S.R

Yugoslavia

• Commemorative War Cross 1941-45 (April 29, 1967)

They were both award the medal in 1961. MacArthur in Jan 10, 1961 and like in April 1961. Maxwell Taylor another recipient was awarded his in 1955. However I have never seen any of his medal or orders displayed anywhere.

4starchris