Army Dog Tags With Japanese Gasmask Silencers

muddyboots

I picked these up recently and I havent found anything information on who he served with but I know for sure he was in the Pacific somewhere. This is my first set with a Japanese gas mask silencers. I do got another tag that also has a string taken from a Japanese helmet net.. I was able too figure his numbers out to 32471075 which leads me to Harland E Benedict. I havent had any luck finding any information on his military service yet. Any help or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

post-24366-0-39577400-1549635625_thumb.jpeg

Harland E. Benedict:

Born: 10/28/1915

Enlisted: 9/12/1942

Released: 11/26/1945

Died: 9/29/2008

Buried in Cortland, NY: https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/79833849/harland-e_-benedict

That is all the info you need to request his NARA file. Quick search, I did not see any unit information. Good luck.

Thanks I hope I get lucky with even a piece of information when I send for his record. I was told that a lot of records werent burned but water damaged. I know someone whos dad was in the 82nd and he worked them hard for his dads record and got it.

James,

If NARA doesn't come through I might suggest that you contact Geoff at Golden Arrow research: https://goldenarrowresearch.com Geoff and his staff do a remarkable job at finding the impossible when NARA comes up blank.. Take a look at his services and you will see what I mean. He helped me on a few occasions finding some very important family information about 2 of my relatives (1 KIA) that NARA could not find....

Good luck with your research...

Leigh

James,

If NARA doesn't come through I might suggest that you contact Geoff at Golden Arrow research: https://goldenarrowresearch.com Geoff and his staff do a remarkable job at finding the impossible when NARA comes up blank.. Take a look at his services and you will see what I mean. He helped me on a few occasions finding some very important family information about 2 of my relatives (1 KIA) that NARA could not find....

Good luck with your research...

Leigh

Most of my records that I go for is through them. I love how they scan the records.

Source: Fulton History

Note: Not the correct Harland Benedict. The correct Harland Benedict's father's name was Ernest Benedict, so disregard this post.

g3.jpg

g4.jpg

Note: Not the correct Harland Benedict. The correct Harland Benedict's father's name was Ernest Benedict, so disregard this post.

g1a.jpg

g1b.jpg

g2.jpg

WOW!!!!! You did a lot and thank you. When looking up the name I found the Benedict junior as well. And its a shame its not him it would have been great to get a photographer of him.

WOW!!!!! You did a lot and thank you. When looking up the name I found the Benedict junior as well. And its a shame its not him it would have been great to get a photographer of him.

You're welcome. Yeah, I thought the same thing and was disappointed when I determined the the Benedict Jr. was not the right one, but at least there's some information about the correct one, so that's good. Still need to find his unit and maybe a photograph but I'm not holding much hope of that. Maybe someone will find it. Hope so.

Nice set of tags, I thought Japanese Pro-Masks had a cloth covered hose. How did you determine that it is Japanese?

BKW

A while back I handled a set of tags too a Marine from the 3rd Marine Division and they had a similar rubber silencers that were brittle and same color. The guy who had them said the Vet told him that they were made from a Japanese Gasmask. I have also been looking around at other forums on Japanese Gasmask and there hose and found that the Japanese were constantly rebuilding there Gasmask because of dry brittle rubber or the filters werent good enough. They didnt talk about the hose to much but some had cloth rubber hose and some had just rubber. Heres some pictures of two different types of hose. If I remember they were a type-95 Gasmask or a 99 that was being refitted with a upgraded filter.

post-24366-0-68691200-1549719281.jpeg

The rubber looks gray to me, like a 1942 era US mask hose, which doesn't really surprise me any if that is what it is. Have to remember also that this practice spread back to the US, and there were guys who never left CONUS who did this too. Regardless, it is a nice tag and whether or not he served in theater, he did his part.

I don’t know why the color doesn’t photograph that well but in hand it has a brownish green color. I wish the Vet was still around to talk to. I miss my dad and his stories of his time in Korea and Edwards Air Base.