USS America (1919)

USS Texas (1926)

Capt. Navy Yard, Puget Sound (1928)

Chief of Staff, 13th Naval Dist. (1933)

Capt 11th Naval Dist. (1934)

I think he enlisted on 22 Apr 1894.

1942:

post-151812-0-78197200-1549587093_thumb.jpg

found a cool page of his cadet record, telling offenses like dirty wash basin! If you haven't seen the whole page, send me a message, as it is too large to post here! Super cool, though!

post-151812-0-23452000-1549587300_thumb.jpg

His middle name was Everett.

A quick look at some USN registers shows him serving on

USS Vicksburg (1909)

USS California (1911)

USS San Diego (1915)

USS Pittsburgh (1918)

USS America (1919)

USS Texas (1926)

Capt. Navy Yard, Puget Sound (1928)

Chief of Staff, 13th Naval Dist. (1933)

Capt 11th Naval Dist. (1934)

I think he enlisted on 22 Apr 1894.

1942:

attachicon.gif1942 SubTender launch.JPG

Great detail thank you.

On a side note the watch runs beautifully.

found a cool page of his cadet record, telling offenses like dirty wash basin! If you haven't seen the whole page, send me a message, as it is too large to post here! Super cool, though!

attachicon.gifcadet records.JPG

His middle name was Everett.

Looks like he went through a trail for a court martial was exonerated of all charges and shortly after recommended for a Navy Cross, but it doesn't look like the recommendation resulted in the award.

Don't know if anyone clicked on the link I already provided, but it contains a post about this very grouping along with history, etc. Guess I should've pointed that out. Thanks...

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/152495-captain-zino-everett-briggs-us-navy-september-22-1894-may-31-1945/

Thank you, i intended to add the link myself but forgot.

• 3 weeks later...

From wikipedia:

Late on 9 July, USS America sailed on the seventh of her voyages to Europe for the Navy. Just before midnight on the 14th, while the convoy steamed through a storm that limited visibility severely, a stranger, SS Instructor, unwittingly wandered into the formation and ran afoul of America. In spite of attempts at radical course changes by both ships, America struck the intruder near the break of her poop deck and sheared off her stern which sank almost immediately. America's swing threw the wreck of Instructor clear, allowing it to pass down the transport's port side without touching before it sank less than 10 minutes later. America stopped briefly to search for survivors, but the danger of lurking U-boats limited the pause to the most abbreviated of durations, and the storm added other obstacles. As a result, America succeeded in rescuing only the 11 Instructor crewmen who managed to man a lifeboat. Tragically, the exigencies of war forced America to abandon the other 31 to their fate. A court of inquiry held at Brest on 18 July, soon after America arrived there, exonerated her captain from any blame with regard to the sad incident.

• 1 month later...